Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After having done about 200 kms on my Wing. I have read many of the posts on just about every topic I could search and here goes:

My windshield: When I sit comfortably in the seat, the top of the shield crosses right across where I seem to want to look at the road ahead. I see potential there to miss something. It is a brand new "slipstream" extra thick piece and I hope it will be OK.

There must be some scalping/cupping on one or both tires-which seem to have lots of rubber left--as when I lean her over, I hear a low rumble.

The Wing has progressive springs in the front and at least one new shock on the rear-according to the records- Never having driven a wing before, I have no sense of how it should handle. To me, it seems tight-has new steering bearings- but with 2 bars of air in front and 6 bars in rear-with 33 lbs in the rear tire, it seems a tad stiff to me and not what I expected--but I like a tighter firmer ride. I am just getting to the point where I have some confidence in laying her over on the twisties. Do these bikes wollow a bit when hitting bumps in the turn??

Lots of clunking during shifting and I am slowly getting the hang of it. I soon learned to come to a complete stop before putting a foot down- and being in first gear before doing so. Any tidbits on this will help me.

Made my first feet up turn on a two lane road today. I found that throttle management helped a lot.I am starting to feel the bikes weight better.

Thank God for theauto cancel of the turn signal.

Not yet comfortable with gear selection when running at the slower speeds-between 40 -70 kmh(25-45mph). Is there a golden rule on when not to go to OD.

I am aware of not lugging the engine in ahigher gear but about when do experienced drivers downshift, when, say, on hilly roads at around 70-80 kmh??

When pulling in 4th or OD I can hear some clattering coming from below( probably echoing off the front fairing. It sounds like a chain, but the timing belts are rubber. It is a sound I do not like. It is not spark knock-I think I would recognize that.

When I cold start the engine, using full choke and backing it off slowly as it warms, it appears to be running on less than 4 cylinders, and after it gets warmed to the first bar, it is smooth. Normal or is something wrong? Plugs and carbs have been serviced in the last year.

Have not practiced any EMERG stops as yet- maybe next time out, as I want to be aware of how it feels.

My tail ligh warning is on and I think I recall the PO saying that he installed LED's in the rear. I read all the discussion on that. I don't like getting used to a red light in the panel? Resister or removal?????? Will those LED's go anywhere else so I can put the OEM bulbs back in?

About how much does the trailer hitch weigh? I may never pull a trailer and probably should remove it to gain some carrying capacity.

Any thoughts or comments will be very welcome

Have a good day

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

Don't know what the recommended susp air pressure is for a 1200 but 2 bars front (30 PSI) and 6 bars rear (90 PSI!!) sounds awfully high. Bob

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Years ago I heard you should be looking just over the top of the windshield. I guess this is for a clearer view. I'm 6 feet tall and both wings I've owned has had a windshield at least 2 inches too tall to look over. It's harder to see the road in the rain when both sides of the windshield get wet.

I have near new Dunlops and when I lean in a curve I can hear road noise from the tread.

Adjust the air for the ride that suits you.

Always pick your feet up as you take off, and put them down just as you stop. Paddeling will make other people thing you are riding a Harley! (Just kidding)

I seldom use OD below 40-45 mph, higher if I think I may need some extra power. (I seldom run my bike hard) It likes to be above 2000 rpm.

The clatter you hear is probably the primary chain inside the transmission. Mine does it when I lug the engine, when I should downshift.

My tail light warning light came on over half the time when I firs got the bike. Now it stays on most of the time. I'm thinking of removing the indicator bulb.

My hitch had a full size ball. I leave the ball off to save a bit of weight.

Practice emergency stops before you need one!!!

One good thing about Goldwings, if the bike goes down, your leg won't get crushed like some bikes.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep wrote:
Don't know what the recommended susp air pressure is for a 1200 but 2 bars front (30 PSI) and 6 bars rear (90 PSI!!) sounds awfully high. Bob
Bars in this case refers to the digital bar gauge on the bike, not bars of of atmospheric pressure, to which I (foolishly perhaps) assume you are referring. 2 bars on a GL1200 gauge is about 11 psi, if I remember correctly, and 6 bars is about 57 psi. Any input from the gurus out there?

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

johnmac wrote:
Years ago I heard you should be looking just over the top of the windshield. I guess this is for a clearer view. I'm 6 feet tall and both wings I've owned has had a windshield at least 2 inches too tall to look over. It's harder to see the road in the rain when both sides of the windshield get wet.

I have near new Dunlops and when I lean in a curve I can hear road noise from the tread.

Adjust the air for the ride that suits you.

Always pick your feet up as you take off, and put them down just as you stop. Paddeling will make other people thing you are riding a Harley! (Just kidding)

I seldom use OD below 40-45 mph, higher if I think I may need some extra power. (I seldom run my bike hard) It likes to be above 2000 rpm.

The clatter you hear is probably the primary chain inside the transmission. Mine does it when I lug the engine, when I should downshift.

My tail light warning light came on over half the time when I firs got the bike. Now it stays on most of the time. I'm thinking of removing the indicator bulb.

My hitch had a full size ball. I leave the ball off to save a bit of weight.

Practice emergency stops before you need one!!!

One good thing about Goldwings, if the bike goes down, your leg won't get crushed like some bikes.

Good luck!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I havenot yet met any localriders with experience so I need to get it from here. Bikers around here seem to meet once a week at a local Arbby's, and when I feel apt enough to get into the traffic, I will be going there.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tdsnuggs wrote:
rkjjeep wrote:
Bars in this case refers to the digital bar gauge on the bike, not bars of of atmospheric pressure, to which I (foolishly perhaps) assume you are referring. 2 bars on a GL1200 gauge is about 11 psi, if I remember correctly, and 6 bars is about 57 psi. Any input from the gurus out there?

Tom

I was definitely referring to indicator bars on the Aspencade readout, and I set them as close as I could, following the owners manual. Just wondering about air pressure with the progressive springs in the front.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
tdsnuggs wrote:
rkjjeep wrote:

Tom
I was definitely referring to indicator bars on the Aspencade readout, and I set them as close as I could, following the owners manual. Just wondering about air pressure with the progressive springs in the front.
I don't have progressive springs but it seems I have seen it mentioned several times from members who do, that they don't put any air in the front when riding solo. And very little when riding two up.

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't really need any pressure on the front springs with Progressives even two up. The windshield height I like is just high enough so I can see over it to the ground about 60' away with the windshield down. This sitting in the normal riding position.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

exavid wrote:
Shouldn't really need any pressure on the front springs with Progressives even two up. The windshield height I like is just high enough so I can see over it to the ground about 60' away with the windshield down. This sitting in the normal riding position.

Thank you sir. I will press the leak button on the front and see how that feels.

Windshield down?? meaning adjusted as low as it will go??

Also, can you please talk a bit about shifting--ie when out on local roads where speeds are in the order of 45-50 mph. Do you pretty much stick to no higher than 4th, or even 3rd. My wing seems to like that sort of thing. It rattles and clatters a lot when I pull it at too low an RPM, so I tend to use gears that will keep the clatter away. I am learning but want advice.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

As for shifting my 1984 GL1200A, I go by the tach rather than the speedometer. Most shifts are done at about 3,500 rpm around town and a bit higher on the highway. Lugging the engine will generate all sorts of funny noises and it ain't good for the internals, either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.