Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My very good friend and fellow Britishmotorcycle idiot came over to help me with something I was having problems with tonight. Tomorrow we're going to the electronics store to buy more heat shrink tubing so I can finish wiring the bike, then we'll go to the old generic bike store to look at handlebar grips. We talked about a lot of things. I have some wobble in the rim I laced that wasn't there when I laced it. Being a rookie rim lacer it bothers me somewhat. He said we'll fix it later.

Just before he left he remarked "Dude! Close your dishwasher!"

What he didn't understand is that by stopping my dishwasher cycle just before the drying period and allowing the dishes to air dry, I probably saved enough money to pay for the heat shrink tubing tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I do the same though not to save up for heat shrink tubing. I have been known to leave the dishes in the dishwasher rather then put them away. Then when the sink is full just put the dirty ones back in with what's left of the clean and wash them again.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

'I have been known to leave the dishes in the dishwasher rather then put them away.'

Makes it look like you only wash with full loads, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

I am the dish washer

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Just do it right and she might let you out for a ride

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

The heat dry not only dries the dishes but also helps sterilize them from germs

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I just got a brand new dish washer. She starts Monday.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

I have one set and un-disputable rule here. "I DO NOT TOUCH THE DISHWASHER" well other than to repair it. Every time I loaded it I did not do it up to the high standards of my bride. So I just do not touch it except to maybe get a dish I need. If I need a clean dish to cook with I hand wash it.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
I have one set and un-disputable rule here. "I DO NOT TOUCH THE DISHWASHER" well other than to repair it. Every time I loaded it I did not do it up to the high standards of my bride. So I just do not touch it except to maybe get a dish I need. If I need a clean dish to cook with I hand wash it.
Same here. I'm allowed to empty it, but can not put anything in or push any buttons. Fortunately, the rule extends to her washing machine as well.:ssshh:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Alas, I wish the woman who hangs around here was so discerning and discriminating in the use of the household appliances.

BTW - Our dishwasher, though pretty new, wasn't cleaning the dishes and sliverware as well as it used to. After looking at the dishwasher soap I noticed that the phosphate was no longer an ingredient in any of the stuff at the store. After finding out that in Oregon commercial restaurant soap could have phosphate but consumer brands couldn't I decided to remedy that lack. You can get TSP (trisodiumphosphate) cheaply at hardware stores. I use about a teaspoon of the stuff added to the dishwasher soap and now get sparkling clean dishes and silverware. I'll use the stuff until they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
imported post

We had the same problem and discovered the Greenies had struck again. No phosphates. Started putting a small bowl of white vinegar, 1/2 cup, on the top rack. As the washer runs the vinegar disperses as the bowl fills up with water. Sparkling glasses and the inside of the stainless washer is also spotless again. There are even lawsuits against Cascade for ruining some expensive glassware.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Alas, I wish the woman who hangs around here was so discerning and discriminating in the use of the household appliances.

BTW - Our dishwasher, though pretty new, wasn't cleaning the dishes and sliverware as well as it used to. After looking at the dishwasher soap I noticed that the phosphate was no longer an ingredient in any of the stuff at the store. After finding out that in Oregon commercial restaurant soap could have phosphate but consumer brands couldn't I decided to remedy that lack. You can get TSP (trisodiumphosphate) cheaply at hardware stores. I use about a teaspoon of the stuff added to the dishwasher soap and now get sparkling clean dishes and silverware. I'll use the stuff until they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
You can thank the EPA for this. They have reduced the amount of Phosphates that sewer treatment plants can return to the water. Most companies are removing Phosphates from all detergents at this time. They are afraid that the waste water operators will try to hold them responsible when they can't meet the new standards set forth by the EPA.

Some plants use Phosphates in the drinking water treatment process and it looks like we may have to stop that also. So sorry about the stained clothes in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
We had the same problem and discovered the Greenies had struck again. No phosphates. There are even lawsuits against Cascade for ruining some expensive glassware.
I had no idea any of this was going on...

How did I miss this one?:doh::doh::doh:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep I can hardly wait until we return to the days of shaving lye soap to do the dishes with as my grandmother used to do. She thought detergents were a gift from the gods.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Thanks for the info. We had the same problem and the inside of our relatively new dishwasher looked like crap as well as some of our dishes. On the advice of a friend, the wife has been using an ounce or so of white vinegar in each load along with the 'new detergent' and that has helped somewhat but I will tell her to try the TSP. We have a set of Tervis Tumblers that were ruined by the changeover and the inability of the 'new' formula to clean worth a crap! We were able to clean them up somewhat with the vinegar but they still do not look very good.

BTW: "WHODATHUNKIT" Our motorcycle forum has degenerated to discussing dishwasher detergent of all things! :shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

UH OH!!!:shock:Looks like our feminine side is coming out. Lucky for me I'm too damned old and cranky to care.:yelling:

Actually I don't really see a need for a dishwasher. As I told the woman who hangs around here I usually wash the dishes when she cooks anyway and when we have guests that eat there's no reason we can't feign an arthritus attack and ask them to do the damn dishes. That oughtta work a couple times per invitee. When I was a bachelor I just ate out of the pan, saved all that crockery stuff. You could just shove the pan in the fridge and voila, left overs. When I used dishes they just got moldy after awhile anyway. You really don't need to wash up the dishes and stuff much when you're a bachelor, I ate mostly the same thing all the time anyway. How much can achunk of meatand a baked spud dirty things up? Once the worman who hangs around here started hanging around here things got a bit more complex.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, you can't burn 'em either, all that CO2 ya know.:?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.