Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some thoughts on choice of bike

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  exavid 
#1 ·
imported post

Here is hoping this is a lot less controversial than whether or not to wear helmets. But I offer some musings on choices.

I started with a CB360T... I could afford it, and I was in school... my wife to be said it was like sitting on a 2x6 with a chain saw on the other end... put over 25,000 miles on it

ALMOST bought a bmw 800... really wanted it BUT, it was a little more $'s than the '78 wing.... made a great choice... wife and I traveled all over on it... added a California sidecar with our first child (took off the sidecar) and put a motorvation car with second child... was under powered for that sidecar. Sold the sidecar in '89 and kept the bike.

bought a cx500c for wife.... it had over 50,000 miles when sold... great around town, not so great for touring (but we did)

bought an '86 1200 (new in '88) and put on a complete eml conversion kit . WOW what a bike and it handled great.. we went 4 up all over the country... and finally went four people on two bikes... the kids saw the country from motorcycles... front end was wrecked... bike was rebuilt and now has a motorvation spyder. Kids are all grown, and this is the wife's bike.

in 2002 bought a 2000 HD road king... great touring bike... passenger seat sucks, but we almost always ride two bikes... it was stolen in 2004 and replaced with 2005 road king.

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

My list of bikes is way too long to list even if I could remember them all, I could probably recall most of the street bikes but then there was the triumph 650 tiger we made into a hill climber. Is that a street or a dirt, I definitely used a helmet on that bike. My favorites were. Honda 350CBX street, made me therebel in high school. Honda CB750 bored and stroked by a flat track buddy would literally fly off the road at 135 mph. 1947 Indian chief tore it apart partially rebuilt it ex-bi#ch convinced me to sell it. 84 GL1200A bought at 80,000 miles sold at 200,000 plus miles. Present bike 85GL1200 LTD AKA Wooly Bully the second. Had dozens of other quick fix and destroy dirt bikes that jumped cars, crossed creeks, climbed hills, and added many years to my abused body.

#3 ·
imported post

1978 Yamaha 650 - shotguns - noise & vibration could put you to sleep

1978 Yamaha XS1100 - Yea...it was a little quick!!!!!!!!!

1982 Yamaha 1100 Special - It could do 135mph..... & throw you in the ditch

1982 Goldwing - My Baby!!!!!!!!!!! over 400,000 & still wicked, STILL RIDING IT

1996 Goldwing - My New Baby - Still has to prove herself. So far....WICKED!!!!

#5 ·
imported post

I remember the first time i sat on a wing. I bought it with out even ridding it first from a car lot. Paid the cash signed the papers walked out sat on it and thought WHAT did i do. This thing is SOOOOOOO wide how will i ever get used to it 76 GL1000 if i remember right. Took about a day and life was good after that:clapper:

#6 ·
imported post

1968 Suzuki 250 X-6 Hustler (senior in high-school)

1969 Triumph TR650-C scrambler. Conbination graduation / going awaypresentbefore government paid trip to S.E. Asia.

1974 Honda CB 750 K-4. Eventually got a Poweroll 883 kit-cam-header---FAST:grinner:

1980 Honda CB 900 C. Ontario Moto Tech 1,000cc kit-cams-header---FASTER :grinner:

1984 Honda GL 1200 Aspencade. Life is soooo good.

KNEE SURGURY - sold Aspencade

1982 Suzuki GX 1100 G. Small tank, shaft drive. Fun but not a Goldwing.... :(

1986 Honda GL 1200 Interstate. My present ride, once I got over the fear of bad knees and heavy bikes. Life is good again. This forum makes it even better...... :gunhead:

#7 ·
imported post

first one suzuki ts 100 don,t remember the year

81 400 honda

81 400 honda automatic

82 750 custom

82 900 custom

500 yamaha 2 stroke crotch rocket,don,t remember the year,scary machine

81 suzuki 650

76 gold wing 1000

450 nighthawk

half a dozen dirt bikes ,scariest was an xr 500

the gold wing is the best yet

#8 ·
imported post

My first was a Harley 250--what a loser

650 BSA Lightning--scary when the carbs would both work at same time

250 Yamaha Enduro-- street and trail

350 Honda-- street and trail

500 Honda four cylinder--great little bike

550 Honda four cylinder--great little bike

250 Yamaha Enduro--strictly trail

900 BMW--not my kind of bike

CB750 Honda--a good old bike

CB1000 Honda--Good bike, two trips to Canada

800 Kawasaki Vulcan--fun ride

750 Yamaha Tripple--still a project

1100 Yamaha Vstar--not for touring

83 Naked Goldwing--Man I like that bike

#10 ·
imported post

Windawg
Has the 82 with 400,000 had major engine work or not?

History of the 82 Winger

Bought the bike 1987 - 32,000klm paid $2,250.00

Rear Shock Rebuild - 1990 - Top of the World Highway Yukon/Alaska payed its toll (Exavid will know what I'm talking about) $60.00

Replace spline collar into final drive - 1995 - Columbus Nebraska $250.00

Drive Shaft - snapped a universal - 2000 - Day 3 -3300klm almost home from the Yukon - $60.00

Blew a cam bearing, shredded the belts, took out the top end. - 2003 - Last short ride of the season, a block from home. Did a motor swap over the winter. $1,000.00

2004 - The last major tour for dear ol Winger - Winnipeg to Cocoa Beach Florida

Rebuilt the Starter & Replace solenoid- 2005$50.00

My wrench told me if I'm going to continue to tour like I do......time for a newer one. I bought the 96, did this years tour, and flipped the plate back onto the 82 for the rest of this season.

She's ridden daily the 80klm to work and back and of course the evening and weekend rides. She's been in some pretty desolate places in her 23 years, 18 of them with me. She never left me stranded. When she was weak and needed a break, she always got me close to some place with the resources we needed to get going again.

I feel pretty confident she's happy to be semi-retired and doesn't have to face the insane touring regiment I've put her through. The graceful lady has stepped aside for the new baby to earns its stripes for its upcoming tours of duty. No one can tell me this chunk of iron doesn't have a soul.

Kyle

My hair's turning white, My neck's always been red, My collar's still blue

Attachments

#11 ·
imported post

I guess compared to some my bike total has been somewhat limited.

#1 1977 KM100, first bike, had to go with a 100 midsize instead of a 125 enduro that I wanted as brother was also allowed to use the bike, so on occasion, he broke it, I fixed it. Guess i was 14 when we got that bike brand new, of course my younger brother dented the tank within the first week, me I was more prone to breaking the suspension, but dam I liked jumps :) I left the farm in Manitoba the summer of 81 and went many years without a bike :(

#2 Was a Suzuki Enduro 250, don't recall the exact model, around 1971 I think, got it in 89 or so, it had seen many miles of abuse, and received many more :goofygrin: Dam thing was kinda low on compression, and me I was kinda low on cash, so needless to say I bruised my foot many a time kickin that ole girl over til it would fire up. Don't recall what became of it, I only paid aboout $200 for it and musta sold it for about the same a few years later......

#3 Now this one was fun and what a caddilac, I upgraded from the ole Suzuki to a Honda XR200, 4 stroke, huge mono shock, I think I knocked my travel time to work via the bush trail down by 2/3's!!:weightlifter:

#4 Bought it last year, 1980 CB750 Custom Honda. Dressed it up with bags, fairing and stereo, then just before I installed the stereo pod I found my Goldwing:cooldj:

#5 1984 GL1200I with fresh paint and fresh rider :jumper:

Still seeking a buyer for a full dressed CB750C............

BTW love my wing :grinner:

#12 ·
imported post

#1. C5G-100 (I think), it was Kawasaki's 1975's version of the KE-100 enduro. Bought it from a buddy in 1981 drove it for a summer.

#2 1982 KZ-440LTD Bought new in 1983 and drove it for two years

#3 1984 GL1200A Bought it in 84 and lost it to a left turn bandit in 88

#4 1994 GL1500A bought it in 94 and sold it in 98 (Idiot :gunhead:)

#5 1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo. Bought in the fall of '03. Always thought this bike was cool. Rebuilt it over the winter, drove it three times then sold it in the sping. Most importantly I proved having a bike was still something I wanted!

#6 1983 V65 Magna Bought in the spring of '04. What a machine! Can't tour with brother in law and his posse though, they all have wings! My back would be killing me after a full day of riding:(.

#7 1985 GL1200LTD. Bought in 2005. I'm Back :)

#13 ·
imported post

Let me think... :rollingeyes:

First was a Vespa Motor Scooter. Gray

Next was Honda Cub 50. Red & White

Then a brand new Honda Magna 500. Almost killed me...

My first Wing... Brand new 1986 Aspencade.. Beige.. Wish I still had it...

Then a 1994 Aspencade.. Blue Green.. Nice bike but it bit me...

Now.. Back to a 1986 Beige Aspencade and totally in love again... :kissing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.