Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After almost three months (broken leg) my buddy moved my `81 out so I could clean it up. I found this plug/cover under the bike.

It's very possible it could have come from my DR650 that was in the same spot three months ago. Thing is, I don't remember ever breaking something like this, at least in the last few years. Nothing is open on either bike.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

looks like the nut that goes on the stater cover on back of motor. The nut part is busted off.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

It could be the differential oil level cap . Though my first place to look is ,the left rear of engine . I think the this cover is over the stator bolt . Perhaps your stator bolt has backed out and pushed thru the cap .

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

It's been a while, but isn't there a cap like that on top of the engine for checking the flywheel position.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wingd wrote:
looks like the nut that goes on the stater cover on back of motor. The nut part is busted off.
I go with this one, looks just like the one that busted out on the 83 my brother brought home from Florida.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just looked and the sarter cover "plug" was gone and the bolt was laying outside.

I was having trouble starting it and it backfire and "kicked back" once. Apparently that generator bolt unscrewed, hit that plug and knocked it off as the threads are still in the bike. I can dig them out with an awl and silicone that plug back together for now.

Anyone have a plug to sell?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A lot of the older Honda CB bikes used those plugs. Try finding an old 750, they have them all over the engine.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Has anyone ever had that alternator bolt back out like that? Am I safe to screw it back in with a dab of Loc-tite? From the drawing it looks like the rotor can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

My brother's bold didn't come all the way out like your's did so he was able to screw it right back in and torque it back down.

My concern for your's is the 2 spacer washers on each side of the rotor being out of place. Take a good small maglite and look in there and see if you can see all the way through to the shaft threads the bolt goes into. Since the stator is in an oil bath then maybe the washers are still sticking to each side of the rotor.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not uncommon to have that bolt back out, replacing it with a bit of Loctite should do the job just fine. Honda Direct Line and Motogrid still list them, I've swapped the caps from an 1100 to a 1000 and think the same one will fit all four cylinder 'Wings. Frenchy at Crescent Moon Unlimitedhttp://www.crescentmooncycles.com/should be able to provide a used one. Honda calls them "Valve Adjust Cap".

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I just bought a cap from MrCycle.com. New old stock I guess. The cap and the o-ring cost about $20 shipped to the house.

I also had to buy the bolt since it was missing off my bike as well. Got a used on from ebay, and guess what? The bolt has a flange (I guess that's what you call it) built in, and the bolt would not go back into the case hole. hmmmm, I wonder if it was on there to begin with. The PO wasn't too keen on putting parts back where they came from. Anyway, I had to grind the flange part down a little to get the bolt into the case hole.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I had the same thing happen while I was out for a ride about 2 hours from home. I thought something REALLY bad had happened! Anyway, I decided that since the bolt had worked its way out by grinding the cap off, those little metal bits had to go somewhere.. I removed the engine, then the rear cover and cleaned up the inside really good and put locktite on the bolt. If you ever take the rear cover off, use a new gasket - mine leaks now just a little, but I'd have to remove the engine again.. It wasn't that hard, just time consuming, and it made me feel a lot better. If I take off the rear cover again, I might just change the starter clutch rollers too?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Those plugs are used on other Hondas and are a few bucks used.
I ended up just sticking it back in with silicone. I noticed a hair line crack a few inches long from the threaded hole. No leaks for now and I'll change that case later when I find one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.