Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well someone said i bought an old mans bike and i told him where to go,then i said im 45 i am old i dont want a racing bike i want a bike thats comfortable and when i go away i dont need to carry a back pack,is any one younger then me out there with a goldwing???so really who is the youngest and who is the oldest,if you dont mind .

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

There is an age thread in the forum that will help you with that. I'm 36 and there are plenty of Goldwingers about the same age as you and younger. I don't think it's something to get worked up at, bikers are always young at heart.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I bought my very first Goldwing when I was 20 years old. That was 1982. I heard the same ribbing. I always smiled and said "let's compare miles ridden in a year" Usually shut them up.

Just the other day I had a friend of mine who rides a Harley sport bike said to me with a smile, "I'm not old enough to ride a Goldwing" I looked him right in the eye and said, "Yea you are." We are both nearly 50 and he just didn't know how to respond.

It has just never bothered me one little bit.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm 44, and the Goldwing is my "work bike". As my work bike, it needs space for a laptop, sometimes tools, and an overnight bag. It also needs to be reliable and simple. The GL-1200 answers that need.

I can't carry a back pack any distance either. My back won't tolerate it.

That said I also have a sport-tourer and another bike for track days.

After all - they make gumballs in all shapes and sizes, too.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Two of my Goldwings were an old man's bike. I bought them off of my old man.
Now I are one.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

With age often comes wisdom. Once you wise up you realize that you can ride a lot more on a comfortable bike that has wind and weather protection. When you are young a foolish you think you a need a bike that is either noisy or that looks fast and is uncomfortable (unless you are going fast).

I have a friend that rides a softail, if the weather isn't warm or if it looks like rain he'll avoid ridding. Can't blame him as I wouldn't want to ride a bike with poor weather coverage in that kind of weather either. He wont by a Glide of any kind because his daughter says its an "old man's bike". She had her own bike for a short time, maybe rode an and hour at the longest at once. Don't know why he would take advise about what to ride from her :)

If being old means knowing how to be comfortable and enjoy the ride, then I'm old. :)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I get the to "old thing" when riding my Kx500 dirt bike at 54 young......lol

I might be getting old, but I'm not dead!

Kurt

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Got the same comment from a co-worker who rides a spoorts bike. I told him that people say the same about cadillacs, and they are very comfortable, also told him that the fastest production car today is a Caddy. Then we went on into 0-60 times, towing capacity, which is 0 on his bike. Actually the rear seat on that bike is not bigger and not softer than my phone. At the end we reallized we were comparing an SUV with a sports car.(I'll stay with the room and comfort thaks)

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Try just grining!!!! they will figure it out.
Or maybe Not:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

The price of a new wing usually makes for a more mature owner. Other than that when someone says something I just go to youtube and show them Yellow Wolf on the dragon. That usually shuts them up real fast.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

At least they recognise it's a bike. Another belief I have frequently seen expressed over the last 16 years is that the Wing is not a "real" bike. (i.e. too bulky to handle) These are all people who have never been for a ride on a Wing, of course, and for a couple of friends who made the comment, I took them for a ride and changed their minds.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I am 47, and last week was at a number of lights with my 13 year old son on the back near the mall when three crotch rockets pulled up next and behind me.

The cute young lady on the pillion of the bike next to me started talking about how comfortable the backseat on my bike looked and how uncomfortable she was on her boyfriend/hubby's bike was.
We all laughed for a few minutes as we traveled about four lights together and I explained how his bike was a young mans bike, but mine could be ridden comfortably for 14 hours every day.
Totally blew them away when they realized I had stereo, five cup holders, a gallon of water in the tank bag available through the drinking hose, GPS, a sheepskin seat cover, and a drivers heated back massager too.

By the way I bought my GL1200 in 2003 when I was only 38.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I bought my first Wing in 75 when I was a young Marine traveling from North Carolina to NY every weekend. I got a lot of ribbing then until they tried riding theirs any distance.

I still like them and will probably get an 1800 this year.

Mohawk

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I'm 44, and the Goldwing is my "work bike". As my work bike, it needs space for a laptop, sometimes tools, and an overnight bag. It also needs to be reliable and simple. The GL-1200 answers that need.

I can't carry a back pack any distance either. My back won't tolerate it.

That said I also have a sport-tourer and another bike for track days.

After all - they make gumballs in all shapes and sizes, too.
I'm just a bit older and I have to say "ditto" to RG here. I ride my wing mostly like a commuter. I too carry laptops, external hard drives and tools, tools, tools almost everyday.

When I tour in the summer, I even carry a portable DVD player and a few disks. You'd really be surprised how many motel TV's have inputs and just how common RedBox locations are...

I worry about these youngsters zipping around on their zoom-splats carrying these huge stuffed backpacks... seems like that would complicate things even if they had a minor spill.

Mile for mile, I can out ride most casual bikers mostly because... IF you have a comfortable bike... riding is a pleasure, not a chore.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I guess I was 'an old man' at the age of 23, by their accounts. :?

That's the age I was when I bought my 75, back in 77.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yup I was 27 when I got my first GL1000.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Funny I was looking at the gl 1000 in 1978 all most got it then I saw the 1979 Cb 750 F in black well it took 30 years but I got my 78 gl at 48yrs old. Good old ride got my 1500 at 50yrs old. Being old is fun some times

:doh:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

nico wrote:
At least they recognise it's a bike. Another belief I have frequently seen expressed over the last 16 years is that the Wing is not a "real" bike. (i.e. too bulky to handle) These are all people who have never been for a ride on a Wing, of course, and for a couple of friends who made the comment, I took them for a ride and changed their minds.
I've had people say "you should just get a miata". I tell them the wife has a convertible firebird, and if they don't know the difference between 2 wheels and 4 wheels that they should stay off any motorcycle so they don't fall over and hurt themselves :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.