Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the temp guage is not working, anyone know where the sending unit is?

·
Honda Guru
2,013 Posts
imported post

The oil temp 'thermo unit' is on the transmission cover. Front cover where the oil filter is... located on the right side (as you're sitting on the bike)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Look for a single connector sensor screwed into the right side of the thermostat housing aft of the thermostat. The more forward one with a two pin connector is the thermostatic switch for the fan.

Edit - I thought the bike was an 1100 didn't notice the 1200 SEI.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks guys, i'll have to check them both, i had a funnel in the rad. since the bike has a coolant leak and i was running it to get the injector cleaner in the injectors and it got warmed up real good and started boiling and the temp guage was on cold and the fan was not running so i guess i have some problems, guess i will bring home my laser tomorrow

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The SEI and the ASpencade thermo sensor has 2 spades unlike the Interstate which is a single round connector.

On the Parts fiche for the SEI the sensor is located on the right side to the rear of the coolant tube.
SENSOR, WATER TEMP 36151-MC7-003 Item 9

On the Aspencade it is in the same location as the Interstate

The Interstate single pin sensor can be used providing the correct wire is used Green/Blue The other Green/Black is ground. When using the single pin sensor the body of the sensor is grounded.

It works, I have an Interstate single pin sensor in my ASpencade, The Honda dealer couldnt find the correct two spade sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If your engine boiled and the fan didnt come on, possibly you have a head gasket leak.

The fan and the sensor are independent of each other, would be very coincidental of both fan switch and sensor went out at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

yeah that thought was on my mind also, will be checking that also (head gasket). thanks

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,191 Posts
Scatching my head too, don't know if I can help or not!

·
93 Posts
Well,maybe this might help someone who ends up here.

This is my 1987 GL1200 Aspencade and the Thermo sensor is located on the side of the thermostat housing behind the radiator and the behind the metal shield that is in 3 sections andgo's around the thermostat housing - it cannot be seen unless you remove the metal shield.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
goldwing warrior
You posted on a 3 year old thread. Watch the dates.

·
93 Posts
goldwing warrior
You posted on a 3 year old thread. Watch the dates.
I saw the date and good info is good info,no matter how old it is - the thread is still here and my SEARCH led me to it,i found it slightly helpful and have added to it - now if anyone knows how to test the thermo sensor,that would be a big help too

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
You can access it from the right side with just the plastic lower removed by using a long extension. If the system is still sealed (cap on the radiator) and you are ready with the new one then you will not loose much coolant at all and can then just top off the radiator afterwards.
Again working from the front backwards you have the top radiator hose, the thermostat housing, the fan sensor switch (with only one wire), then the heat sensor (two wires). The oil sensor is located atop the engine case above the transmission located almost centered on the engine behind the fuel pump (also one wire).

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
You can access it from the right side with just the plastic lower removed by using a long extension. If the system is still sealed (cap on the radiator) and you are ready with the new one then you will not loose much coolant at all and can then just top off the radiator afterwards.
Again working from the front backwards you have the top radiator hose, the thermostat housing, the fan sensor switch (with only one wire), then the heat sensor (two wires). The oil sensor is located atop the engine case above the transmission located almost centered on the engine behind the fuel pump (also one wire).

Are you certain that you can access the thermo sensor without removing the rad and steel plate to the rear of the rad, I doubt it. The fan switch maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
This is a big problem with this thread. It's suppose to be about the temp sender. Unfortunately, it's been confused with the thermostatic switch. They are not the same. The thermostatic switch can be changed without removing the plate or radiator. But you'll have to really work to change the sending unit.

·
93 Posts
This is a big problem with this thread. It's suppose to be about the temp sender. Unfortunately, it's been confused with the thermostatic switch. They are not the same. The thermostatic switch can be changed without removing the plate or radiator. But you'll have to really work to change the sending unit.
Exactly - People are talking about 2 different things here!

THERMO SENSOR/sending unit can NOT be easily accessed - it's behind the radiator and a metal plate.
Next question - does' anyone know how to test this SENSOR?
1987 GL1200 Aspencade

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you are talking about the unit in your picture, you have identified the thermostatic switch. It simply provides ground for the cooling fan when engine temperature reads @210F. It opens again when temperatire drops to @188F, and the fan kicks off.
Put it in hot water and check with ohmmeter.
However, it has NOTHING to do with the temperature gauge.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The picture shows A the thermosensor and it's relative position

B is the thermoswitch which is located on the thermostat cover.

Thermosensor (A) on the Interstate is a single pole model which is grounded through the body.

Thermosensor (A) on the Aspencade and possibly LTD is a two spade model on which one of the spades is grounded. As is shown in the picture.

On the picture in post # 10 the thermoswitch is actually out of the picture hanging down in front the one shown in position is the thermosensor on an ASpencade

The other picture in this post is a testing procedure for the thermosensor unfortunately it is a little confusing as it shows a two pin sensor in the center picture and a single pin sensor in the bottom picture without any explanations (Typical of a Honda Manual)

The Interstate single pole thermosensor can be used on the the Aspencade providing the correct wire is used to send the info to the gauge. This wire is identified by a blue sleeve on a green wire at the six pin connector where the sub harness connects to the main harness on the left side front under the false tank

Attachments

·
93 Posts
The picture shows A the thermosensor and it's relative position

B is the thermoswitch which is located on the thermostat cover.

Thermosensor (A) on the Interstate is a single pole model which is grounded through the body.

Thermosensor (A) on the Aspencade and possibly LTD is a two spade model on which one of the spades is grounded. As is shown in the picture.

On the picture in post # 10 the thermoswitch is actually out of the picture hanging down in front the one shown in position is the thermosensor on an ASpencade

The other picture in this post is a testing procedure for the thermosensor unfortunately it is a little confusing as it shows a two pin sensor in the center picture and a single pin sensor in the bottom picture without any explanations (Typical of a Honda Manual)

The Interstate single pole thermosensor can be used on the the Aspencade providing the correct wire is used to send the info to the gauge. This wire is identified by a blue sleeve on a green wire at the six pin connector where the sub harness connects to the main harness on the left side front under the false tank
As i'm this far in already,should i just replace the THERMO SENSOR .
Also,should i replace the THERMOSTAT too.
My fan works fine.
I'm planning on riding around the country in a few months,so i don't need any failures.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.