Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been beavering away getting an '80 Interstate into excellent running order. It is mostly all back together & I wanted to start it & get pleasure from just listening to it. I had run it about a month ago & knew it ran OK

Put it in driveway ( only -2°C, maybe 28°F & miserable) with a freshly charged battery. Pulled out choke & attempted to start it. It sort of fired up on full choke but kept dying. No combination of choke & throttle would get it to run for more than a few seconds. I never cranked it formore than 10 sec at a time then waited a bit before trying again.

No luck & eventually the battery quit. I was more than a little upset!

Had lunch & suddenly remembered I had forgotten to turnon the gas at the petcock:D

Downstairs to the garage again, put another fully charged battery in & tried again, with the petcock on "ON". Fired up easily. Iran it until the cooling fan had been through a few cycles then brought it back in for the winter.

At least I got the pleasure of hearing it run & it sounded great.

I have more than 50 years of working on motorcycles but at my advanced age forgot the simplest of things. Ah well, I wonder what I will forget next:):)

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

where you put the bike :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I was trying to get my old stump grinder to start the other day. I pulled on that rope till I was just about worn out. Sure enough it does help to turn the gas on. :D Kit

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I've done it too! That, and tried starting with the kill switch off.

Chuck

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Been there, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Went through my timing and points when i realized fuel was off. I quit for the day!

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

airman wrote:
Went through my timing and points when i realized fuel was off. I quit for the day!
So just don't turn it off.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
airman wrote:
So just don't turn it off.:cheeky1:
I never turn mine off. :action:But have forgotten to turn it off reserve after filling up and driving 180 miles and wondering why I haven't had to switch to reserve. :shock::gunhead:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

airman wrote:
Some days I can clean out & stain my shed, sweep the garage, put a transmission in the old truck, & reshingle the house and be ready for breakfast.

Then there are days I'd have been better off if I'd just stayed in bed. Break everything I touch.

Most are somewhere in the middle, but lean one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

oldgoat wrote:
Ah well, I wonder what I will forget next:):)
I would tell you, but you wouldn't remember:cheeky1: :cheeky1:

I think we have done things like that :D

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've done it several times

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Glad I'm not alone in the forgetful category! All my recent bikes have had FI & no petcock.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

FINE-C! Works everytime!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

Last weekend pulled out of the Home Depot on my Magna, down the road about a quarter of a mile she started spitting and sputtering, whoops!, forgot to turn the petcock back on the ON position! It happens to us all once in a while.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

That is why I use Fine-c. I pulled out of the bike resort at Deals Gap last year heading back across the mountain. The bike sputtered and stopped because I forgot to cut the gas on. It was a sticky situation for a few seconds. Easy to forget!

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

What's wrong with you people...? I've never tried to start a bike with the Kill switch off and the petcock closed..... never.....

honest......

swear on a stack of Honda Service manuals......

the only thing I've ever forgotten is where I put the first wife's body!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the part-time "D.A." club...I'm the unofficial president...And when I'm not a dumb-ass, I'm just an ass...Less explaining to do..

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Makes me think of Carl looking at the tiller in "Sling Blade"

"It ain't got any gas in it! Uh HuH!" :waving:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.