Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1990se 1500...

After working all day on my stupid radio and failing, I found that I'd ran the battery down...

As I have done dozens of times before, I jump started it and within about 2 seconds or less, heard a pop... The pop occured while I was still attached to the jump battery in my pickup, just a second before I got the wires disconnected...

The thing sounded fine and I decided that since I had the voltmeter out for the radio, I'd check the voltage... it was 10.6 and dropping...

What did I blow???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
imported post

Jump starting a 1500 is risky, charging the battery and waiting is probably better, but the damages is done so it's irrelevnt me saying that. Might just the main fuse have blown? Of the big backup fues?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
111 Posts
imported post

Put a charger on the battery and charge it up. (you can test your lights and things with the charger going) After it is charged start the engine and put a volt meter on the battery connection and see if you are charging from the alternator. It should read 13 or 14 volts. (you may have to rev the engine to get this)

If everything is working you should be fine.

Losing volts at that low of a charge isn't good, but could be normal. Most likely the alternator was running the bike electrical since the battery was so low. The "pop" sound could be anything.

And quit jumping your bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for giving me hope... I'll try her in the morning...

Have you ever had a radio that came on at full volume on the left front and right rear speakers... Right front and left rear are what ever volume they are set at... but L/F and R/R are not affected by controls and are always at full blast with radio / mp3 player...

Intercom and cb function normal... Wierd, Huh???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
111 Posts
imported post

If you haven't change any wires on your radio, I would say you need to make funeral arrangements for it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

She started and is running normal... I sprayed the volume control with contact spray and the volume problem is gone... I'm a happy puppy...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
imported post

The pop might just have been a spark from one of the jump leads at the battery terminal. That can happen if the connection isn't solid.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top