Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dad was visiting from NJ so he rented an Ultra Classic and off we went to Shiner TX; about 2 1/2 hours from Houston. Took the scenic route and stopped for gas not even 10 miles into the run. Must have been just enough gunk in that fuel to finally seal the filter shut. Could not get enoung gas into the bike to keep it running past 40 mph. It was a beautiful day so we said screw it and kept going thinking an auto parts store would be just around the corner; that was not to be. Finally limp into Shiner and the only parts store in town had nothing that would work so we head back to Houston.....slowly. Seemed to be uphill the entire time and I guess all the 18 wheelers decided to head that way at the same time we did. Riding on the shoulder with them screaming by is not a lot of fun.

Finally get home and head to AutoZone and pick out a replacement (temp till I get to Honda) and 15 minutes later, all is good again. Did not know it was the original filter till my Dad said, "You should really have replaced that filter Son. It's the original." Thanks Dad for the info.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Wal*Mart should have Fram inline filters at least. I think that's where the last one I got for my 1100 came from.

Never bothered to install a Honda original. Like the fact it's clear plastic and you can see the flow and gunk.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. It only lasted 30 years?? I would take it to the dealer and claim warranty !

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

These work for the 1200, not sure if the 1100 uses the same or not.

Information received from Tricky Thanks!
The fuel filter from J&M Cycles is a good price and it is exactly the same.
http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.a ... &cs=Metric

NAPA Gold 3011 / FRAM G4164
Fram G6529

Next time you are south of Huston stop in at Buckee's and pick me up one of those stuffed beavers so I can put him on the back of my wing :) Don't know why I didn't think about doing that when I was down there this summer

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
These work for the 1200, not sure if the 1100 uses the same or not.

Information received from Tricky Thanks!
The fuel filter from J&M Cycles is a good price and it is exactly the same.
http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.a ... &cs=Metric

NAPA Gold 3011 / FRAM G4164
Fram G6529

Next time you are south of Huston stop in at Buckee's and pick me up one of those stuffed beavers so I can put him on the back of my wing :) Don't know why I didn't think about doing that when I was down there this summer
I have tried those , I don't like the way they fit in the stock holder.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
A fuel filter is there to do a job, stop other stuff ( other than fuel) from going where it should not. they are usually good , till they aren't. here is a place to get filters that fit, besides honda. It's what I am using.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection1.asp?Product=9875

Those look good, are they holding up to ethanol? The EMGO filters are doing a melt down with ethanol. It's always good to have other options.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

so far so good

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I had the same thing happen to me on my 1500 on the way to the Americade last summer. The bike would run fine until I pushed it up to around 70 mph and then it would act is if it was running out of gas. I would pull over and check things out (which gave the bowls time to fill up again) and would ride another 50 miles or so and it would happen again.

I remembered that a few weeks earlier I had run the gas tank down to almost empty. I guess the crud at the bottom of the tank clogged up the gas filter. I stopped by the Honda dealer and bought a new filter and haven't had any issues since.

I will now change my gas filter on an annual basis.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. It only lasted 30 years?? I would take it to the dealer and claim warranty
When it comes to filters and general maintenance. I do not subscribe to this notion. There is nothing worse than having some $3.00 part ruin your ride because it just happened to fail at the worst opportune moment. (and i find that fuel and electrical issues always surface at the most inopportune times...)

This would be like saying: "Why change the oil if the engine is till running..."

In regard to filters and general maintenance I say... get yourself on a schedule and fix it... BEFORE... it fails and ruins your entire day... or your entire summer... or your engine.

Time and money spent on replacing filters is never wasted... never.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. It only lasted 30 years?? I would take it to the dealer and claim warranty
When it comes to filters and general maintenance. I do not subscribe to this notion. There is nothing worse than having some $3.00 part ruin your ride because it just happened to fail at the worst opportune moment. (and i find that fuel and electrical issues always surface at the most inopportune times...)

This would be like saying: "Why change the oil if the engine is till running..."

In regard to filters and general maintenance I say... get yourself on a schedule and fix it... BEFORE... it fails and ruins your entire day... or your entire summer... or your engine.

Nothing personal, but I'm thinking that was said with tongue in cheek/sarcasm/black humor.

Meaning, it's doubtful that any other brand (other than Honda) woulda lasted that long. 30 years is a pretty good return for a $3.00 part.

I agree with preventative maint.

Meaning: it was a joke.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

DaveW wrote:
us385south wrote:
Kimswang wrote:

Nothing personal, but I'm thinking that was said with tongue in cheek/sarcasm/black humor.

Meaning, it's doubtful that any other brand (other than Honda) woulda lasted that long. 30 years is a pretty good return for a $3.00 part.

Sorry US385south, you walked right into this one...:ROFL: Dave is spot on !

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

DaveW wrote:
us385south wrote:
Kimswang wrote:

Understood... and appreciated. No harm no foul. Sometimes it is hard to tell...

However, I have had members here say the same thing (If it ain't broke don't fix it) about rebuilding brake calipers, master cylinders, purging brake lines, addressing OEM lighting, shifter seals, wheel bearings, seals and spline O-rings, vacuum lines and other ongoing issues I would rather not address "en cavalcade." (On The Road)

Any service schedule should not be driven by system failure...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.