Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Hey Pete used to live in Bend and Geez the Old McKenzie pass up there is great also isn't it. Lived in Bend when the population was 12 grand sold my house there in the mid 80's.
Used to hunt antelope the other side of pilot Butte and Duck just outside of town on the Deschutes. Just out there a few years ago riding through oregon best summer rides in the US.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have ridden through Sonora Pass, and have also ridden extensively in the Oregon/Washington area. Beautiful, but definitely plan on getting wet. I mean like all day every day. I just spent a week in Portland a couple months ago, it rained 3 days out of 6 and that was in the summer. Went to the beach at Seaside, and it started raining just before we left. My daughter just had to stop at the Candyman store for "salt water taffy" whatever that is.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Hey Pete used to live in Bend and Geez the Old McKenzie pass up there is great also isn't it. Lived in Bend when the population was 12 grand sold my house there in the mid 80's.
Used to hunt antelope the other side of pilot Butte and Duck just outside of town on the Deschutes. Just out there a few years ago riding through oregon best summer rides in the US.
I've lived in Bend now for a little over a year and still haven't ridden over Mckenzie. Instead I drive 1000 miles to ride over Sonora and Tioga in California. LOL. I was headed over it last fall when it started to snow so I chickened out and went around.

Yeah, there are some great roads in Oregon.

The other side of Pilot Butt is where the hospital is now.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Sonora passis a nice little run except that you have to watch out for the Marines in the road way on the hwy 395 side. Hwy 4 to the north is fun as well with the one lane and all. An interesting side note aboutthesepasses is that you can find Mafic rock deposits near the pass ontheWest side.Mafic rock is formed in theocean floor and is denser than all othergranite in the mountain.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I have ridden through Sonora Pass, and have also ridden extensively in the Oregon/Washington area. Beautiful, but definitely plan on getting wet. I mean like all day every day. I just spent a week in Portland a couple months ago, it rained 3 days out of 6 and that was in the summer. Went to the beach at Seaside, and it started raining just before we left. My daughter just had to stop at the Candyman store for "salt water taffy" whatever that is.

Hmm .....seems to me in all the times I've ridden in those two states (well over 60 days worth, on both west and east sides of the Cascades), I've ridden in eactly 1/2 day of light drizzle.

You must be some kind of rain magnet, or someone was following you with a hose! :doh:

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

California Hwy's 50, 88, 4 and 108 all run east/west and parallel each other. The west side is braced by Hwy 49 on all four hwy's. We call them 'the blocks'. Yes… they are a lot of fun and I have the advantage of living at the interesction of Hwy 49 and 88. Hwy 4 and 108… IMHO are THE BEST!!

Chad… are you gonna be able to stop by?????

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
A couple days ago we went over Sonora Pass. Not sure what the grade was going up, but coming down, headed east, it starts with 2 miles of 15% and one spot the sign says 25%.
> It's actually 27% grade... I just rode all the sierra passes last week, what a hoot!

> On the plus side, and unlike similar Jamison Road in Santa Cruz, at least you have Light on the road, and it's not Dark from tree coverage when that 27% climbing hairpin turn appears under your nose.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Did it back in 1992 in late May and there were snow mounds over 12 feet high on each side of the road. We were headed to Yosemite.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

rayworx wrote:
California Hwy's 50, 88, 4 and 108 all run east/west and parallel each other. The west side is braced by Hwy 49 on all four hwy's. We call them 'the blocks'. Yes… they are a lot of fun and I have the advantage of living at the interesction of Hwy 49 and 88. Hwy 4 and 108… IMHO are THE BEST!!

Chad… are you gonna be able to stop by?????
We've already headed east as we decided not to go back up the coast, so we won't be able to stop by. We rode down 89 from Lassen and then over 120, back over 108, after doing the tourist thing in "The Valley", and then across US 50 in Nevada. All of which have been new for us and great roads.

Sonora was a little hairy because we're pulling the Kwick Kamp. I had to go pretty slow with the trailer and no trailer brakes. Like to go back and ride it solo. Very cool roller coaster road!

We've been taking a few days to visit relatives and are heading north tomorrow. Was going to Stanley but the overnight temps are starting to dip below freezing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ah just leave it in 3rd gear and take your hand off the throttle comming back down the hill

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
ah just leave it in 3rd gear and take your hand off the throttle comming back down the hill
Just live in the moment and kick it into neutral... :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Try the Mt Hood Loop to Hood River. Cross over The Columbia and Follow the country side up through Grangeville, Idaho then Shoot over the LoLo to Missoula up through Glacier and back down through Yellow Stone through the Tetons to Jackson Hole. Over the Hill to Swan Valley You Can cut back up through Blackfoot and Salmon or ride the pass over through Sun Valley and Boise..cross at Vale and back to bend.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

really live kick it in neutral and shut of the engine lol

maybe wear a blind fold and a couple pair of depends too

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I believe this was originally posted on BARF. (Bay Area Rider's Forum).

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/FG03ToA2hPg&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

appropriate Music for that clown act.Thats a Group of folks that were trapped in a situation far beyond their demonstrated abilities.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.