Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I laid down a first payment on a 76 GL1000. It needs a timing belt (or is it belts?) and the cover. Full shield, hard bags and trunk. Dual seat but not the king and queen seat. Should have it in hand within a month. I can NOT wait. This will be my first bike at the age of 20. Though honestly it's not my first choice (Harley Davidson Fat Boy or Indian Chief) but it is within my means and looks quite nice. My friend will be teaching me how to ride it and was quite bumed he couldn't afford to buy it himself.

I look forward to asking many questions and enjoying my bike. Any suggestions on what to look out for with her? I know I need to invest in some riding gear (heavy jacket, helmet-probably full face, and gloves. Anything suggestions are appreciated!

Chris

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris, sorry about the book, but my congratulations on buying your first bike and even better, a Wing. You beat me, I was 22 when I got my first Wing and I am still with them. Take extra care, as they are a big heavy bike with a surprising turn of speed, don't go trying to get your knee down, it won't work and you willend up in an embarassed heap. If the bike hasn't got protection bars round the engine, that would be my first purchace. I will leave it for the experts to give you their sagely advice and the senior crew will be welcoming you to the site as soon as they are awake. ( some of them need their beauty sleep!!)

All the best mate, from across the pond.

Pete

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Pete, thanks for the advice. And no problem on the book. I'll find one sooner or later. No plans on trying to carve corners. My choice in bikes is more towards the cruisers than anything. Honestly it has a little more power than I wanted to start out with, but at the price, I couldn't pass it up. I know I also need to watch out for other motorists as well. I've seen the way people disrgard bikers as if they too had a steel cage around them. It sickens me, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. I'll check into the protection bars for the engine if it doesn't have them already. I don't believe it did. Do you know of a reputable supplier? Thanks again.

Chris

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Chris, I am the wrong side of the pond to give you advise on suppliers, go down the posts abit and some discussion has gone on just in the last couple of days about chrome goodies suppliers. Others will soon jump in and tell you the best places to shop.

I was lucky enough to spend a week in your fair state about 8yrs ago and had a wonderful time, though far too short, you have some lovely roads to ride, we were up in the Smokies and it was so beautiful, staid in a log cabin with all mod cons, truely memorable!:)

I dropped my second wing, before I had time to get bars, the resulting damage was far more expensive to mend than the crash bars were. Well worth your $$$.

The cage drivers are the ones to watch out for, they can't see you, they are blinded by their secure little world, just asume you are invisible and you won't go far wrong!!

My 23 year old son rides too and he is just getting used to how to antisipate trouble and avoid the cagers!!

Must go do some work now, or there will be no money for petrol in the Wing, catch you later mate, I bet you have the biggest grin on your face at the moment, now you are getting a bike!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

Hey Chris,
Congrats on a new ride and your first bike!:clapper: I know you mentioned your freind is going to teach you how to ride and that's great! BUT! I have been riding for 32 years and I've learned alot and can teach alot. BUT! I would be the first one to tell someone to go to a MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE. Someone who rides has alot of good information but we tend to forget to tell folks things we just do by instinct. Those folks at the MSF have Honda 250's that you train and take your licsense on at can teach you all of the things you need. Plus you wil get a discoount on your insurance. I wish you many happy years of safe riding!:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

starion88esir wrote:
Well, I laid down a first payment on a 76 GL1000. It needs a timing belt (or is it belts?) and the cover. Full shield, hard bags and trunk. Dual seat but not the king and queen seat. Should have it in hand within a month. I can NOT wait. This will be my first bike at the age of 20. Though honestly it's not my first choice (Harley Davidson Fat Boy or Indian Chief) but it is within my means and looks quite nice. My friend will be teaching me how to ride it and was quite bumed he couldn't afford to buy it himself.

I look forward to asking many questions and enjoying my bike. Any suggestions on what to look out for with her? I know I need to invest in some riding gear (heavy jacket, helmet-probably full face, and gloves. Anything suggestions are appreciated!

Chris
Go slow on the helmet. You need to ensure you find a very comfortable one as Wings tend to keep you in the saddle for long stretches. DO NOT GO SLOW ON THE TIMING BELTS AND DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER WITHOUT THE TIMING BELTS INSTALLED PROPERLY. TIMING BELT FAILURE IS AN ENGINE KILLER.

Starrion is a good car. At one time we had three Conquests, two 87s and an 88. My son graduated to the Eagle Talon AWD, even faster yet. He still has that Talon in his garage collecting dust. It might be for sale even.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Chris,

A Goldwing is a big, heavy bike to start on... it's much better to start on something smaller. Beg, borrow, or steal a smaller bike until you really know how to ride.

Also, very, very important... before you ride, like tpwood said,take a motorcycle safety class! The statistics are stunning on how many people your age who have never taken the course die on their motorcycles. Your friend might know how to ride, but there's no substitute for the class.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

have you taken the motorcycle saftey foundation course. I think it is the best investment you can make as a new rider

looks like a lot of us are saying the same thing.... maybe that is how we all got to be OLD motorcycle riders

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have not taken a motorcycle safety class. With my work schedule it makes it difficult but I will definately be checking into it. I also realise the drawbacks of the Goldwing being a big heavier bike, but it's what I'm buying. My friend doesn't have a bike anymore and is not in the financial state to get one. And he is the only person I know that rides. I have no plans on turning the engine until I have the belts properly installed. The last thing I want is to ruin the engine.

I've had three Starions myself, two 86's and an 88. Fun cars, when they're running. Too problematic when they get some mileage on them. But hey that's why I'm going to stuff a 318 in to my last 86.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

See Chris, I told you it wouldn't be long befere they woke up and started replying!

Mind you they are a bit long in the tooth some of them and find it hard to retain all the info and questions. Anyone remember, Chris asked where to get crash bars for his upcoming ride!!!

We might be old codgers Chris, but what they said makes sense, the training school thing would be well worth while. I have been riding on and off for 30 odd years and having got a 1500 recently, I am seriously considering some lessons.

Don't be too disheartened though, you have youth on your side, which if used right is an advantage. Your reaction time is quicker than older guys and you have strength aswell ( I suspect some oldies spend more time picking their bikes up than riding them:goofygrin:).

Don't get tempted into racing around like a mad thing, take things steady, you will learn to enjoy the thrill of motorcycling, without being a speed merchant. You only have to read the postings of guys on here about the trips they take and the enjoyment of touring to get a feel of what it's all about. Hopefully you will soon hook up with like minded bikers and experience the absolute joy of riding.

End of fartherly sermon:goofygrin:

Now come on guys, help what could be our youngest member to find what he requires.

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey starion88esir :waving: A big Irish Welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Well i cant advice you because im too old, :crying:and young boys never listen to old men. :headbanger:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Jsut got done talking to my friend who saw the bike with me. He said it did have crashbars. One on each side if he's not mistaken. So that's good.

No racing for me. Especially not on a bike. I'll leave that to my MR2's, well, if I ever get another one.

I will be making some phone calls and getting lessons. I don't want to increase the risk due to my own neglegance. Only guys I see out here riding are on Harley's (typically mid-30's or older) and the crotch rockets (20's to 30's). I'm not really a fan of the plastic bikes and see too many around here racing or showing off. I'd rather avoid that.

One more question, is a Clymer service manual any good? I do not like Chilton's manuals. They're typically vague and overall not to informational.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the greatest GW site:clapper:

I rode for around 15 years when my wife wanted to start to ride. She asked me to teach her. I declined for the plain simple fact I had been riding for so long I thought there would be some basic info I took for granted and would not think to tell her.

She signed up for a motor cycle class with my sister. She(my sister) had to back out, and since the class was already paid for I went...Best thing I could have done. I didn't really learn anything new, but did get a chance to practice on some things that don't happen on a regular basis,but COULD...

Long story short...TAKE A CLASS:waving:

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

The MSF course provide Honda 250 Rebels for all participants and you take the riding test during the course for your license. In PA it's free and the waiting list is long. I live on the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, the Maryland course cost I think about 50 to 100 to take but well worth it. Look on the web for your state: http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=NC
It will give you some time on a smaller bike also.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thank you for all the suggestions and ESPECIALLY for the link. I will be calling to check on price and when it will be available. Thank you again!!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing site. You have recieved some great advise on the riding class. It could save your life. I have a friend in Concord that took the rider course. It is too late to call him tonight but will find out details of class at work tomorrow and pass it on to you. :dance:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I really appreciate that Dean. I am looking at taking the class in Salisbury at Rowan Cabarrus community College. Still need to get all the details and what not though. But I am starting a new job Thursday and I need to see how to budget my money out. Still have to fork over another $200 ASAP to get the bike as well. :D Looked at the bike again today, it has a lower crash bar but not the ones that go from above the engine to below, mainly just in front by the timing belts/cover. :-/ So I am STILL in search of crash bars.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

:jumper:Welcome to the forum Chris, you couldnt not have made any better choices! First one on buying a wing and second by finding this forum and becoming a member!

Everybody here is helpful and freindly. I got my first wing last fall (75GL1000) and have heard from people all over the world telling me just how much fun they are. After sinking a few bucks into mine and joining GWRRA ive met more folks and logged many miles with lots of smiles on my face. I will never buy another brand/make again!:dance:

I had three bikes before this one and covered many miles. I'll be the first one to agree with all here. Take the rider safety course then after your comfy on the old girl take the experianced rider course. You will have alot more knowledge and confidance in your skills (you can never install to much info in your head drive)...........

I would come down and give you a hand, but to be honest if im running all they way down to Charlotte , well im going to Deals gap first! :toast:

Try to find a set of these crash bars if you want to save some paint!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Chris you got a PM!:waving:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.