Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I received my set of Simple Sonics from Ed-sets but am having a problem withmy83 Aspencadefactory wiring. I plugged the speakers into one of the connectors of the "Y" cable but barely got any sound at all out ofthe leftspeaker, and only a a hiss out of the right. Next I did the obvious thing and tried the other connector on the "Y". Same results.

I traced the "Y" cable back to the (I think power amp) box that all the cables plug into. The cable pretty much just fell out of the junction box so I thought I had found my problem. I did see where three wires had been spliced on the "Y" harness at some time in the past. It looks like someone cut them while drilling a hole in the upper left side fairing to mount a cigarette lighter (then didn't, just left the hole). I cleaned all the connectors with electrical contact cleaner and tried it again. This time I got good sound out of the left speaker but still nothing out of the right.

Since I had to take the :11grey:to work in the morning I decided to put it all back together and make do until I got back from my ride up to the Laguna mountains on Saturday . I started having problems with the one working speaker as soon as I started out. It kept cutting in and out, the right speaker never did make any soundexcept for thehiss. I finally just pulled the plug and rode without. Also, for the short time I had it plugged in I was getting some ignition noise over the headsetspeaker. I'm not sure how bad since I was only intermittently hearing one speaker and I pulled the plug almost right away.

After my 385 mile ride, I decided I really want something besides the sound of the motor and my own thoughts to listen too, so I bought a MIDI cable and soldered an adapter on so I can plug it directly into my MP3 player. This works great but I can't get the volume or bass out of the MP3 player I could out of the :11grey:system. I would also like the ability to be able to mute the sound at the touch of a switch like I can with the factory system so I really want to make the factory system work!

The external speakers work fine so I know the stereo and tape player work. I know the Simple Sonics work fine since they sound great with just my MP3 player, except for poor bass and low volume due to lack of output from the player.

I am going to try plugging my headset cable directly into the power amp (junction box?) and by-passing the factory "Y" cable to see if it works then.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have!

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I am going to try plugging my headset cable directly into the power amp (junction box?) and by-passing the factory "Y" cable to see if it works then.
That's the sensible approach Bob. I'm not sure that the GL12100 headset pin layout is identical to the later Wings (I can't actually remember), perhaps someone else canclear that up.:waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I think Jason meant to say "the GL1100 headset pin layout..."
The only difference I think is the ground wire for the mic is in a different spot (earpiece ground spot). Can't see that this would make a differ but I'll check it out later.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Jason and GWNorman,

I have been looking at the schematics for my:11grey: but can't find the "Y" harness or pin layout for it.:( I can trace out all the audio circuits except that one harness. Not in the schematic I guess?

I seem to remember reading on this forum sometime in the past, that the older wings "Y" connectorare wired the same as the newer ones with the exception that the ground andsignal pins for the mike are reversed. On the newer (or at least GL1500, GL1800) the #1 pin is microphone signal and the #2 pin is microphone ground, and just the opposite for my 83 Aspencade. Not sure about that though.

I "ASSUMED" (and we all know what that means) and still think the speakersare wired the same for all models and years since I didn't see any request from Edsets to provide year or model when ordering. Since Iordered theSimple Sonics (without the microphone) I didn't worry about it.

The way I believe the speakers are wired on the "Y" cable is: pin #3 = ground, #4 =right channel and #5 = left channel. That is also the way the Edset Simple Sonics are wired.

If some one can confirm or correct me on this I would sure appreciate it!

I haven't had a chance to try the direct connection yet. It may be Saturday before I get a chance too.:crying:

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK, I took the whole thing apart again and found that the plug going into the power amp is different than the 5 pin din that connects to the "Y" cable and helmet. So I couldn't direct connect the helmet to the amp. I checked everything out as best I could but can't find anything wrong. The external speakers work great but I get no sound except a power humout of the helmet speakers. I can hear clicks when I try different switches and occasionally very faint music from the left helmet speaker only.

Maybe I'm not doing something right. I looked in the owners manual but it doesn't say anything about using the "Y' cables, intercom or CB. Maybe someone can answer some basic questions for me? Please!

I have an 83 GL1100 Aspencade.

1. Are the external speakers supposed to play as usual orare they supposed to mute when I plug the helmet speakers in?

2. Is the top left (see photo below) switch for the intercom system and volume? Or is it to switch over to the helmet speakers?

3. The external speakers mute when I turn on the top left volume switch.Are theysupposed too?

4. Is the top right switch for the intercom microphone volume? When I turn this switch up I get a loud feedback through the helmet speakers.

Is there something else I'm missing or doing wrong?

Thanks! I really appreciate your time and assistance!:waving:

[align=center]
[/align]
I finally got my pic to load!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I finally got my pic to load (post above) :clapper:and thought I would migrate this to the top again so that hopefully, someone will recognize my stereo (Clarion) and tell me the proper way to use the "Y" cable and headsets.

Thanks,

Bob :11grey:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

That's the same setup as on my 83. I'll checkit out when I get a bit of spare time and get back to you here.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks very much GWNorman! I appreciate any information you can give me! :clapper:

Bob:11grey:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I'm having the exact same problem with my '83 1100A - did these questions ever get answered? My manual says nada about the intercom and/or CB.

thanks,

doug

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

Okay on the 83 aspencade if they do not have the headset booster you will NOT get a good sound\ through the head set you will get only a slight sound through one headset speaker and that is with it turned up the basic headset setup is for CB and intercom only there is an add on amp that rides piggy back to the componet terminal which has all the cables pluged into it this amp will plug into the headset plug in the componet terminal and and then the headset cable plugs into the amp if you send me your email I will send youa install manual in PDF. form and this will explain the basic install i does not show the add on amp I will try to find one one ebay and post a pic of one

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the generous offer! I would really appreciate anything you could send:

I also scoured the shop manual and it doesn't show much at all, and nothing for the CB or intercom.

doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.