Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, now we've made a little headway on Southern things (Wexman is not putting brown sugar and buttermilk in his gravy, thinking it's porridge, and no one is taking large drinks out of a jar when it comes by), I thought I'd throw out a little info on the very good word "y'all".

"Y'all" is a Southern American grammatical contraction, which combines the words "you" and "all".

It is similar to the frequently - used "youse" that you hear up North, and like "I've" as used in the British "I've a date tonight".

Proper pronunciation is "yawl" like "awl". Not "yoll" like "doll". Yawl.

Some attempts at y'all include "you all" (which, contrary to the belief of non Southerners), is NEVER EVER said in the South. No one says "you all". Also, common misspelling is ya'll (the hyphen is in the middle of a word there!). It is "y'all".

You will occasionally hear "all y'all". You would logically ask, "Well, "y'all" is obviously plural....what is "all ya'll?"

"All y'all"is used for extra emphasis to show more emotion, as in " All y'all are crazy", or " All y'all get away from my Goldwing", or "Dang all y'all". "All y'all" is usually more descriptive and emphatic.

A few of us talked about this at Calhoun, and I thought it may be of interest to others, so I thought I'd throw it out.

Maybe some of the forum folks from other dialects (as well assome of those across the water) will kick in and explain some of their funny words. Wot, bloody 'ell, Eh? You bet!

Maybe next week I can expound on the Appalachian use of "yens" (and, it ain't money!).

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

:cooldevil: :leprechaun: :bat: :pumpkin:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I kinda like the way y'all think!.

Seems like y'all must be down home folks just like the rest of us.

You must be livin' in Southern Colorado.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yawl take care, ya har. :D:D Kit

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I kinda like the way y'all think!.

Seems like y'all must be down home folks just like the rest of us.

You must be livin' in Southern Colorado.
Def'nitely Southern CO. So, where the devil is Myakka City, and where did the name come from? I thought I knewa little sumpin' sumpin''bout FL, but don't believe I've been there.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

I reckon all y'all jest gonna hafta go over yonder and get youse guys a pop. Eh? :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

on a similar theme - those of y'all who went to Calhoun - between Foxy and Wexy, whose accent was easiest to understand:baffled:(I can't make out what either of them say sometimes) :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

in Oklahoma it is very common to but the word "to" in front of the verb.... so often I will hear our recptionist say. "I will have him to call you."

we also like to use the word "suit" when we mean the word "suite", so an ensemble of bedroom furniture is a "bedroom suit", it is not something you wear in the bedroom

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey, wannabe....fantastic use of y'all.

Regarding Foxy and Wexy.....we did pretty good with them til they had a coupla pints. It got a little dicey after that! Perfectly acceptable, though, wot?

·
Administrator
26,139 Posts
imported post

How about the word "Fur" like in whut's thet fur and how fur is it. Nice dual purpose word.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I have friends from Baltimore, MD. I can't understand much of what they say and they have no idea what I'm rambling on about. I guess that's why we are still friends!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bobby B wrote:
I have friends from Baltimore, MD. I can't understand much of what they say and they have no idea what I'm rambling on about. I guess that's why we are still friends!
In 1978, I was working on the coast of SC, above Charleston. The people there speak Gullah, which is a blend of English, African, French dialects. A friend of mine who is native to there, and I , went on a fire crew to Ely, MN, up at the Boundary Waters on the Canadian Border.

We were there for 2 weeks, and I had to interpret for him. He couldn't understand them, and they couldn't understand him.

It was interesting.

It also took them about 4 or 5 days to get some grits in there, after we convinced them what grits were.I thought we would starve.

No shortage of liquor up there, though!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I don't think Wexy had any problem making himself understood in Calhoun, he had obviously been on a short "language course" at some technical college in Gorey, because he was "y'all" ing all over the place, at the Meet 'n Greet. :shock::cheeky1:

Working on the basis that no one I met, stood there staring blankly at me, I assume they pretty much understood everything I waffled on about. Equally, I don't recall hearing anyone say anything in particular that I didn't comprehend,

I tried very hard to avoid any English English, that may have confused our hosts, not once did I say for instance... " I am just going outside for a ***" , or " I am tired, time to go up the apples and pears" or, "can someone tell me what the dress code is, should I be wearing a whistle and flute"

With so many new faces, that we met, and having to try and remember site names and real names, I appologize now for all those I refered to as "mate" please be assured, that I did not wish to pair up with you for life!!!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Anyways, it was great to meet y'all and I look forward toto seeing, all y'all again next year, for Nassir2, if we can make it. :waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Canada has 2 national symbols, The Maple Leaf and EH?, Oh ya, there is also the Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey). The proper use of "EH?" not "A", is very broad, it can be used like "10-4" followed by ? ? or ! !. No one is sure of it's origin but as you might have noticed, we all use it and as demonstrated at Calhoun it was very easy for everyone to learn and I never once heard it used out of place or in a derogatory manner.
Pleas ure to meet y'all, eh?, see y'all next year eh? from across the pond too eh?:waving::action::action:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

One of the wierdest things I heard in Ireland and the Isle of Man (that I could halfway understand) was the time of day description. We asked what time breakfast was, and the answer was "hoff ayt". I said, "Pardon me, what time?"...."hoff ayt".

It dawned on me then that he was saying "half eight", which must be eight thirty. It was like figuring out puzzles. No one minds if you ask what they mean, but I guess it's more fun to figure it out for yourself sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.