Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

-- Space Shuttle Discovery: Old Friend, New Neighbor http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1637

And just as I thought that we might miss it, I heard children start to scream. Suddenly, out of the south there was a rumble and then Discovery atop her 747 carrier and T-38 chase plane literally blasted into the sky mere hundreds of feet over our heads. The crowd literally went wild. Within moments Discovery had arched to the northwest, heading for a closer swing around Dulles.

·
dlg14
178 Posts
imported post

Amazing, expensive as hell but makes you proud to be an American. :july4thflag:

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

One of the amazing things about the shuttles is that the computers that made it run ran on Windows 95. It did the job and when the systems were built it was the most modern system. It was never changed simply because it worked and it would have required a lot of $$ and re-engineering to update it.

That is why you see all of the laptops cabled around the shuttle and the ISS. Just simpler to overlay a easily updated network.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

A friend of ours used to work out at the old Ellington Air Force base,now just called Ellington Field....When the shuttle was going to land here we would get a call...At the chemical plant where I worked at I have seen them coming in for landings or taking off to return to Florida....Once we got to tour the plane, not the shuttle, shucks....Yes to see them in flight is impressive to say the least, yup a lot of noise too....

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

The computers used on the Apollo missions were a fraction of what the Shuttles used too.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
The computers used on the Apollo missions were a fraction of what the Shuttles used too.
There was a series of shows on the Discovery channel called "Moon Machines" that chronicled the efforts to get to the moon. It was really neat to see what went on to get our folks on the moon.....

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Oh transporting, I thought it was the new escape pod for the shuttle.:cool::cool:

Very early in the shuttle program they did a low altitude fly by over the city of Toronto. I remember seeing this thing in the sky and it looked like it was moving so slow I thought for sure it would fall out of the sky.

It is truly amazing what you Americans can do when you put your minds and your wallets to something. :claps::claps::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Saw this on another forum. Who says those guys and gals at Nasa don't have a sense of humor.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

The most powerful thing I ever saw was a nightlaunch from up close. Really cool to watch and they had speakers so we could listen to the control and the commander.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I was out in my boat in Tampa Bay in the mid 90’s when we looked and saw the 747 with one of the shuttles mounted on it flying really low coming in for a landing at Macdill AFB. It was less than a hundred feet up when it passed over us.

Later on while watching the news we learned that a severe thunder Storm had formed over at Cape Canaveral on the other side of the State while the Shuttle was being shuttled. The decision was made to land at Macdill until the next day when they finished the flight.

Wished I had a camera.

Peter

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
The most powerful thing I ever saw was a nightlaunch from up close. Really cool to watch and they had speakers so we could listen to the control and the commander.
That's one thing I do miss about living in Florida. I was there from 82 to 87 when flights were fairly regular. Really cool to watch.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Yup that program that 93Wing spoke of the wife and I sat and watched it with him....It was so cool watching the making of the space suits....We all cracked up when the company that made the "winning" design was announced...It was Playtex, yup the "living bra" company...Some of the first designs were so crazy that it would have been impossible to move in them!!!!!...One test they did was put a man in a space suit inside a chamber, pulled a complete vacuum on it and his suit failed!!!!.. The Techs got him out, he lived to tell on that program about his almost dying....

Taken from Wikipedia.....

"In the 1960s, Playtex subsidiary ILC Dover had a contract with NASA to produce their space suits.

Living and working where I did for 20 years I have seen the shuttles beingflown in and out of Ellington Fieldseveral times, it was quite impressive to say the least...I seen the practice run for the seven Challenger Astronauts being practiced over our home, before they made that run over NASA.....That sightwill remain with me forever.....

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

A freind of mine (who has since passed on) was a photographer while he was in the Air Force. He told me several times that he got to film the first glider flights of the Shuttle. He said it was really cool to watch them as it looked like they were pointed straight down then flaired out to land......

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
Very early in the shuttle program they did a low altitude fly by over the city of Toronto. I remember seeing this thing in the sky and it looked like it was moving so slow I thought for sure it would fall out of the sky.
I saw that trip also. They did a circle over Niagara Falls. I was sitting at an intersection waiting to make a left turn when I noticed everyone getting out of their cars. I got out too and watched the shuttle go by. The city just stopped while it was going over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.