Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We are going to try this again. The launch is scheduled for SaturdayJuly 11th at 7:40 PM. We are driving the bikes over to Orlando from Tampa in the morning with our GWRRA chapter and we will be staying at the Hampton Inn near the Orlando Airport.

That evening we will take the 40 mile ride over to Space View park in Titusville and hopefully see the launch, I have tried many times but never actually seen one.

If the launch is scrubbed we will be stuck partying in Orlando for the evening and we all know how terrible that would be:dude:

So far they seem to have fixed the Hydrogen leak and the countdown is on track.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Hey Peterbylt, going for another try, way to go.

I will not be able to see from here because of too much humidity and clouds.

Show your pics when you get back.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I sure would like to join you but the gods of work and wealth just can't seem to get it together.

I've heard stories of seeing launches up close and they say you can feel it!

A couple years back they had a early morning launch when the air was cool and clear. My brother watched it from the farm he works on with amazement. About fifteen or twenty minutes later he said out of now where there came this unbelievably loud rumbling. He looked everywhere thinking a tractor was coming up.

It took him a couple minutes to figure out the winds and air was perfect for the sound to make it all the way here to Myakka City from the launch.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

We drove over with 11 bikes and 15 people to Orlando Saturday morning only to find that the Launch had been scrubbed almost as we were leaving the Tampa area due to lightning strikes on the launch pad the night before. We decided to stay the night anyway and we all had a great time.

The launch would have been scrubbed anyway due to the weather it started raining just as I was coming back from the beer run at about 5 pm and it rained for the rest of the evening.
We rode back home this morning and I watched the news all day and almost got into the car a couple of times to drive back over and watch the rescheduled launch this evening, well its a good thing I didn't because they scrubbed this evenings launch just 9 min before lift off due to bad weather.
So this makes 9 times I've tried to see a launch and still never have.
Maybe I will get to see one before the last one there are only a couple more.

Peter

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

My ex-wife worked for the Miami Herald and the last launch she saw, she wishes she was never there to see it. She was there to interview the McAuliffes after the launch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.