Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I am back from a wonderful week in Southern Spain, only downside, no Wing to ride. Can't wait to get out there and ride the fabulous car free roads, just as soon as my pockets get full enough again and the bike is back from the workshop. I am getting withdrawal symptoms now it has been gone so long!!

Would recomend a visit to Spain, lovely place and lovely people. I thought I was in for a Wing fest, as I saw three on the first day, but I only saw one solitary 1800 after that.

Any UK riders know of lightweight armoured clothing worth recommendation, I am only kitted up for British riding, you know, thermal, rainproof everything, and it won't be useable in their temperatures?!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Hi Pete we went to Spain last year with Elite-Wings and had a whale of a time - peed it down through Dover and France but after that sunshine all the way wonderful trip.  I brought a Belstaff summer mesh jacket with suitable armour in the right places and just recently brought some dragging jeans - between the two i feel preety secure in it all.RgdsPhil

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Phil, will investigate those. Am looking foward to getting back there ASAP.

Pete

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I recentlyrode my Suzuki Volusia to Southern Spain and wore leathers.Temperature was constantly in the 30's and boy did I sweat! Wearing something that lets air in is definitely desireable so, as I have kept the Vol out there, I have taken my Akito mesh jacket out there and is much better.

Missed having a bike here so bought a 'Wing for UK use. Brought the leather jacket home for UK riding.

ps Wife says 'Wing is best bike I have had. Difficult to disagree with her on that score. Guess I'll need to find something else to argue about, I'm sure she will!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Spain is great. I lived in Madrid for two years as a child and have been back many times. Sure has changed since Franco was in power.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

stevegoo wrote:
I recentlyrode my Suzuki Volusia to Southern Spain
How did you get there Stevegoo? Did you cross the "river" and ride all the way down from Callais or somewhere, or did you ferry to further down, to somewhere like Santandar before riding on?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Silverfox

I travelled with a pal as pillion (our wives flew out ahead of us) and he shared the driving. We rode from Scotland to Plymouth (with a night stop just south of Birmingham). At Plymouth we managed not to fall foul of the multitude of Gatso's and took the overnight ferry to Santander. Good crossing, loads of other bikes although they weremostly heading for the Catalunye Moto GP.

From Santander we rode to Malaga with night stops at Salamanca and Valdepenas. Not the most direct route, or the quickest, but we wanted to avoid the traffic in Madrid.

Great fun, but hot (in Spain that is)! Regular stops for riderswap and drinks of water left us fit for a few beers at night.

A word of warning if riding through Plymouth. It seemed that in Plymouth there is a Gatso at every downhill bit of road. Very easy to get caught out!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have a pair now, they are trousers ( not necessarily jeans) that have kevlar woven into them. Cost about £80 and are very comfortable. My pair are similar in style to Chinos. Here is a link for a firm that does them, although I bought mine from a local bike dealer.

www.hoodjeans.co.uk

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I think I'll have a pair of those Martin. One question, when you wash them, does the inner lining get damaged in any way.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Having been down the road on my backside in full Hien Greick kit with armour in all the right places I am not so sure that I will buy lightweight stuff again - my elbow is still sore nearly two weeks after the event. All of my kit was ripped up pretty bad so it has to be replaced once I can start riding again and I think it will be full leathers this time. I was once told by an A & E doc that they liked guys in leathers as generally the leather lets the victim slide down the road and holds everything in place LOL. I wonder how the dragging jeans would have held up as the kevlar is only in certain places.

Rgs

Phil

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Max, washing doesn't harm the lining as it's well bonded to the jeans.

Silverfox, shipping cost about $11. But I see you are in the UK so you shouldcheck before buying.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I have bought some in Uk, I just wondered how close the US versions came to the price I paid once shipping was added.

Phil, I totally agree with your statement. I ride with Heine thingamey stuff in England, but despite the extra vunerability, I can't see how we could bear riding in a country like Spain, all togged up to the nines. I too have been down the asphelt, shreading clothing and breaking a few bits of me too. It is a dangerous game riding, and as much as possible I like to be protected. The summer jackets I have invested in have armour to protect the stickie out bits, but the string vest material of the rest would not protect.I think it is a compromise, taking as much care as possible, but still allowing for comfortable riding.

Stevegoo, how long did it take to get from Santandar to Malaga, we might get to go down to Rhonda near Estepona, next year. Do you think that it is a realistic trip within the two weeks we might have available, or would you say we were biting off more than we could chew.? Would we be better to set our sights closer to home?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.