Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey -- Here's a question for the best of the best. Is it true Honda put a spare key in a pouch located in the fairing under the left fairing pocket?? If anyone has found this to be true, was the key a standard Honda key with numbers??

I'd check mine but it's 10 degrees here in Wisconsin and I don't like the sound of cracking plastic. I can't wait until March!!! Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Be the first I've ever heard of it if they did.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

My 84 interstate has the pouch you are talking about.
I think the key is gone though.
Gene

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

I don't know ifit was placed there by the factory or the dealer, butI found one hidden in there a few years ago when I first heard about this rumor. It's a nice spot for it.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

When I replaced the bulb on my front right blinker I found a spare tied to the wiring.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Not sure about the pouch but I think I got your key here!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

People hide keys all over the place. I've got a key somewhere on mine. I hope it turns up when working on it this winter.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I found one either on my 85I or the 86I. I just don't remember which. I thought it had been the P/O that had put it there.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

I've hidden two spare keys on my bike. Never been able to find either one of them :(

·
Ed
117 Posts
imported post

I found the pouch, but it has a fuse in it

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Wow... talk about a blast from the past!! I remember seeing the pouch when I was doing the PDI on those bikes. There was no key in the pouch from the factory but back then Honda gave the new owner 3 or 4 keys.... depending on the model. Normally the shop would keep 1 key in case of someone lost a key. At the shop I worked at back then they were put in a numbered box ( the first number on the key).... so if you had an A83 key it went in the #8 box. That dealer is now out of business and the keys were destroyed. Sometimes the key was put in the pouch by the selling salesman but normally it was up to the new owner to put the key in the pouch.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Although it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep a spare key in that fuse pouch. In the 1200 you would still need a philips or robertson screwdriver to get at it.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hang onto the key for me. I'll pick it up if I ever get to New Zealand!!!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Although it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep a spare key in that fuse pouch. In the 1200 you would still need a philips or robertson screwdriver to get at it.
or the always present, always reliable Swiss Army knife (MacGyver trained).:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I just put my spare in Gina's pocket when we ride. Took one incident of her needing my keys at an emergency situation, then me riding a mangled bike up the road to a loading point with a state trooper in tow, and her hitching a ride with another rider to the load point...with MY key in her pocket to set that habit into concrete. :)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have torn a couple of GL1100 fairings apart, never found a key,winning lottery ticket or a pot of gold either.

Seriously, if the Goldwings are produced similarly to the other Honda CBs ect, then they came with 4 keys in the crate. The dealer kept 2, and the customer got 2.

That is why you find guys on ebay with millions of varied numbered keys. They bought a barrel of left over dealer keys.

I suspect, due to costs, Honda is no more liberal with keys.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
I just put my spare in Gina's pocket when we ride. :)
Keke and I each have a spare for the other's bike on our key rings. If one of us loses our keys, westill have keys toboth bikes, the trailer, and the helmet locks.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I know a lot of 1200 owners have found a key in that pouch on their bikes, but not sure if the factory, dealer or PO put it there. This was discussed on here a couple of years ago and as I recall several people went and looked and found a key in theirs at that time.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.