Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am down to two wings. That said, I've brought home a total of 5 in various shape in the last two years.

I had a couple parts bikes and parts lots and have need I say acquired a bunch of parts. I am getting rid of stuff slowwwwly.

I am keeping an extra set of carbs for each of the two bikes I have now, some elec. parts cdi's, regulators, and a few other misc. things.

My question is: Do I really need a spare motor. I swapped it out for the one on the bike now with 17k on it - as near I can tell.

The old one had 40. I like the idea of keeping it but then again I'll probably never use it. But as all collectors (hoarders) know - as soon as you sell it you will need it. I do like space tho....

So what do ya'll think ya need for Spares?

Thanks,

Pony

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I think I would keep the motor, just because it sounds like it is in such great shape. Get rid of something else instead.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I'm parting a 1500, and not keeping much beyond a set of wheels, a windshield, and some other odds and ends. These engines are so robust, I wouldn't bother to keep one around to trip over for the next 5 years, unless the one in the bike has 200,000 miles on it.

I guess it depends upon what kind of room you have to leave things sit. I use most of my garage space to work in - so storage is tight. 1500 parts are also easier to find than 4 cylinder stuff, so that is a consideration . . . .

·
Administrator
25,014 Posts
imported post

guardian wrote:
my philosophy is this: if it ain't been used in two years. Out it Goes! And no regrets.
Wish I could do that, I keep at least 1 of nearly everything.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

IMHO, in my limited garage, space is valuable (if you have any doubt, check out the cost of renting a storage unit) and much more valuable than the parts that I'll most likely never need to use, and there will never be enough space for all the tools on my wish list.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well.....

I am going to get rid of it... I have all the take-offs i.e. the fuel pump/starter/carbs/have a spare stator/extra covers, etc.

The motor in my bike has 17,000 miles on it. I have no doubt it will outlive me...

If it does goes t.u. - hell I'll just go buy another barn find/I want it gone bike. I might sell it too...

onward and upward.

thanks for the thoughts gents.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

all i mainly kept aroud from the parts bikes was the electronic's stuff i kept a front and rear rim so i can mount a tire on to make a tire change go faster other than that i cut up and scrapped the rest its not worth selling and how long would you sit on a used engine before it sold for 50bucks just not worth my time and effort i made a few trailers out of the 1100 frames i cut up they worked well, but other than that i dont like clutter and you can build it up very fast if your not watching your pack rat syndrome lol

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
all i mainly kept aroud from the parts bikes was the electronic's stuff i kept a front and rear rim so i can mount a tire on to make a tire change go faster other than that i cut up and scrapped the rest its not worth selling and how long would you sit on a used engine before it sold for 50bucks just not worth my time and effort i made a few trailers out of the 1100 frames i cut up they worked well, but other than that i dont like clutter and you can build it up very fast if your not watching your pack rat syndrome lol
I am with ya, but I fall off the wagon now and then and buy stuff....

I am a woodworker and that doesn't go well with bike projects - dust.

I will be lucky to get $100 for the motor. Last one I sold - went away for $75.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.