Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Compadres,
Well I've talked to Dave about what could be the problem with the 3 amp fuse on the leads going to power the coils from the Regulator, and he say's check the ICU and pulse generator. He believes it most likely manifests in the ICU. Here in lies my question. I have a 1982 GL1100 standard. Looking in the repair and parts manuals (Kudos to GSMacLean ), I see that I have spark units. Does anybody have a resource for spark unit testing, repair, or rebuilding? If you do I would very much appreciate hearing from you.
Dave said to test the pulse generator also, so that's what I'll be doing next. I almost hope it's that after seeing the price of a new spark unit.
Thanks for any help.:waving:

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

Does the fuse power the coils only or does it also supply the spark units? You can just disconnect each component separately to see which one is blowing the fuse, or more accurately disconnect all components powered by the fuse then connect one at a time until the fuse blows to isolate it. There is no way the pulse generators can cause the fuse to blow. I seriously doubt the spark units could do it either.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the fuse problem, but I bought used coils and used spark units from ebay for reasonable prices. I found a guy who had other parts listed, emailed him an offer and got what I wanted without waiting. (Against the rules of course since they couldn't collect a fee) Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for responding. I didn't realize that the subject line doesn't move to the actual write up. The bike has a Campbell electic harness. It has worked flawlessly till now. The fuse is a 3 amp that goes directly from the regulator to the coils. With the Campbell electric harness on it could be the ICU (spark units?) or the pulse generator I'm told by Mr. Campbell. Thanks again.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

just to let you know, the Spark units on the early wings cross to MANY other Honda models. Do an eBay searh on "Oki----". I forget the numbers, the units are plainly marked.
I took the spark units off a parts wing for my brothers CB 750/4..they are the same.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Scooter 7,
I'll be ebaying shortly. If any one else knows someone who rebuilds or tests these units or if there is a resource for buying new ones cheaper I'm still interested.:cooler:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.