Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i'm pretty sure this is gas, making them black. done a bunch of work, vaccum leaks, carbs cleaned etc. took plugs out,were black, cleaned, put back in,ran 5 minutes, pulled again and black again. trying to figure out whats going on. synced carbs.

right on the money. twist throttle, will rap out and sound good.............BUT, twist it just a little, to 1500 rpm and hold, starts going down until it dies.

could spark plugs just be bad? from past carb problems? or is there something else i need to look for.

thanks in advance,



mark:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
imported post

Running the engine isn't the best way to check plugs, they will likely be black after sitting idling. You really should take the bike for a warm up run and then check them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
Running the engine isn't the best way to check plugs, they will likely be black after sitting idling. You really should take the bike for a warm up run and then check them.
:cheeky1:eek:k, was trying to get it straight before i put it all back together so i wouldn't have to tear it down again.



thank you,



mark:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark, looks like its running too rich, make sure your choke is going off okay and filter is clean.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

went for ride came back, rechecked sync. ok all six plugs black and now when you give it gas it dies. that was my problem in the 1st place. when it gets hot, cannt give it any gas or will die. idles fine tho.:?





mark:waving:
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
3,873 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

agnogel wrote:
http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150317&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1999&fveh=3495 hi mark you need to check that the inlet to the air filter is opening as its controled by a diafram if you relese the spring clip that holds it in position so you can bypass it to see will the bike accelarate
i'm not understanding what you're saying.are you saying open it and leave it open to see if it will accelarate? the little flapper inside the part that runs into air breather, on a stem that looks like it may open when hot? that makes sense:D



mark:waving:
 

·
Gregarious Greeter
Joined
·
16,809 Posts
imported post

Close your petcock and run the bike until it shuts off. Floats may be stuck and this might reset them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

agnogel wrote:
http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150317&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1999&fveh=3495 hi mark you need to check that the inlet to the air filter is opening as its controled by a diafram if you relese the spring clip that holds it in position so you can bypass it to see will the bike accelarate
may be on to something here..took it loose from breather, kinda slow to throttle but at least i can. vaccum somewhere or ?????????????



mark:waving:



sethan12.....no petcock on 1500 that i'm aware of
 

·
Gregarious Greeter
Joined
·
16,809 Posts
imported post

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
Hi Mark, looks like its running too rich, make sure your choke is going off okay and filter is clean.

new filters and choke ok........................... now i'm leaning towards coils 1 or so being bad... all six plugs black. i'm thinking electrical

tomorrows another day



mark:waving:
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi mark just catching up on this when you cleaned the carbs did you check the float hight as this sets the fuel air ratio to high a setting and the bike will run rich, if you remove the air filter will the bike accelrate ok also are you sure the top plate on the carbs is seated ok as if you tightened the heat exchanger on the bottom of the carbs first it can twist the top plate out of line, vacume leak wont stop the bike from accelrating only make it run rough you did tighten the clamps on the carb isalators sorry have to rule out what might be causing this
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi mark just catching up on this when you cleaned the carbs did you check the float hight as this sets the fuel air ratio to high a setting and the bike will run rich, if you remove the air filter will the bike accelrate ok also are you sure the top plate on the carbs is seated ok as if you tightened the heat exchanger on the bottom of the carbs first it can twist the top plate out of line, vacume leak wont stop the bike from accelrating only make it run rough you did tighten the clamps on the carb isalators sorry have to rule out what might be causing this

the only problem i'm having is startsfine....idles fine...revs fine...... give it just a little, it will bog down and die.........more so when at running tempatures.

as for carb float height, i have not checked them and not sure i know how. bike does run good with air filter off except the dead spot, i described above.the isolators, if those are the rubbers the carbs mount into to manifolds.yes they are tight and new. the old ones were bad. i think sucking air, so i replaced them. i didn't clean carbs a friend did and he never checks float heights. he's been doing gldwings for 17 years and he cannot figure this one out.

it has a flat or dead spot in it at 1500 rpm's, and if you remain there it will die



hope this helps,



mark:waving:
 

·
mmonsterbuck
Joined
·
402 Posts
imported post

Z, WHAT YEAR IS BIKE, MINE IS AN 88, GAS CAP IS INTERNALY VENTED, MINE PLUGED UP. SOAK IT IN SEAFOAM, THEN BLOW OUT. IT WOULD RUN OUT OF GAS, TILL I CRACKED THE GAS CAP, I ORDERED A NEW ONE
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top