Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on how often do you guys change your plugs on the wing. I have a 95 1500 SE and changed the plugs (NGK) about 45,000 miles ago. I plan to tear the bike down next weekend and do the timing belts, oil, air, fuel filters, water pump, antifreeze and oil change. Im debating on doing the plugs while its apart. What are your guys thoughts on the plug life and being changed while I have it apart?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Are you running NGK iridium's? The guy I bought my bike from put these in my bike about 70,000 miles ago. I bought a new set but as I was taking the old ones out, I seen absolutely no difference between the old and the new. So I checked the gap and put them back in. Im going to do the timing belts this winter also....... Did the 1200, but not looking forward to the 1500 for some reason.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,
Not sure if they are the iridiums. I can't remember. But I'm thinking for $20 bill I probably should go ahead and change them while its apart. Just called the dealer and they are $3 ea.
Im a little hesitant about belts myself but I have to replace the waterpump. It started to leak at the weep hole so I just got a new one for $146 from cyclemax. Honda wanted $206 for the same exact pump. What a rip off. I printed the step by step process off the forum and will have it close by as I dig into it. Plus I have a wealth of knowledge on here if I run into a issue. Figured while I'm doing the pump I might as well go all the way into it. I have 96000 miles and running original belts. I'm well ovedue for replacing them. Not sure if they were ever changed before I owned it. I have no record of it with the records I did recieve.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I think Iridiums are well worth the extra $$...... I noticed over the past couple of months, about 3 times there would be a small green spot under my bike. About a teaspoon or less...... It's not that often..... but for $150 I might do it also this winter as to not have an issue next year.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it coming from the weep hole or somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I see nothing on the weep hole. I feel underneath everywhere I can reach and don't feel wet. I have taken the top off to see the top of the radiator cap and overflow and didn't see anything, but of course, these are all after the fact inspections when I notice the small wet spot on the floor.

When I bring her in the garage I let it run straight up for an extra minute to let it get warm(er) then shut off and lately, I have been standing there watching for a couple of minutes to see if I see anything...... Nothing.....

Like I said, it's only done it like 3 times over the past few months, so it's very intermittent. I would think if it's the weep hole, it would leak all the time.......

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine doesn't leak much at all. I had to get engine really hot to find the leak. I spent a long time trying to figure it out. I took all the plastic off the front and unplugged the blower fans to get it hot enough to start seeing a very small drop forming at the weep hole. I looked at all the lines and they were fine. It's not easy seeing the weep hole on the pump.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
My water pump went out 2 days after i bought my bike 7yrs ago and i was glad so i didn't have to worry about it. My 88 was 17yrs old and only 67k on it at the time so i did the belts then also.
My intermittent leak when it got cold in my shed a couple of years ago was the thermostat seal and i painfully replaced all the coolant hoses and orings also.
My bike likes the iridiums.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
My water pump went out 2 days after i bought my bike 7yrs ago and i was glad so i didn't have to worry about it. My 88 was 17yrs old and only 67k on it at the time so i did the belts then also.
My intermittent leak when it got cold in my shed a couple of years ago was the thermostat seal and i painfully replaced all the coolant hoses and orings also.
My bike likes the iridiums.

I didn't know your bike had so many miles on it..... It looked great Tellico, I would have never guessed over 100K

Im wondering if it isn't something like you described, a cold leak, or a leak "As" it's getting cold because I have never seen it do it wen it get hot, and I have had it hot enough to run the fans. Never unplugged the fans....... That would be scary.... I would say the water mark on the floor that I have seen is about 3 or four drops. But it's not all the time...... well.... yet anyways....

I liked the Iridium's when I put them in the 1200. There was an improvement in power right off the bat. I was getting excited when I got them for the 1500 thinking O boy...... More power...... But then I found out why I already had power..... Iridium's. I was shocked at their condition after 70,000 miles however.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Hey Don,
When your changing the water pump, your all most there. I changed my belts this last Spring. The biggest PITA was the warm air hose that runs from under neath up the left side. Once I got past that, it is faily easy.
I found that changed the belts on the 1500 is way easier then the 1200.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I didn't notice any power difference. I think mine runs on the rich side anyhow from the Honda recall to get rid of the hesitation. I just noticed if i drive slow i will get consistently good mpg with the iridiums. Still sucks the gas above 70mph.
After a couple of winters, I had to take the right fan out to see where the leak was coming from when the temps got below 40deg or so when the engine was cold. Never leaked a drop during the summer. Finally, the third winter it had a nice puddle under it. Had to do the torture test of brain and hands to do it right for a bike this old. Thermostat rubber seal wasn't that hard to do.. just all the rest took a lot of time and aggravation.
We bought a new Honda 2012............................................................. Civic---- I bet you thought Goldwing!!!!! 5 speed auto and only 1700rpm at 55mph.. My 02 Civic and 88 Wing both turn about 2400 rpm at 55mph. A lot of difference and will have to see what the mpg averages after the engine has more miles. Ypu would think Honda would do the same for the Wing someday since everyone complains about the rpm's.
We really liked Tellico Plains and meeting everyone. I would like to meet up with fellow forum Wingers sometime next year , even if i am by myself and my old 88 Wing. Thanks for the compliments.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I replace my spark plugs every 4000 miles, just like the service manual suggest. I know a lot of you know better than the Honda engineers, but I don't. So I just follow the service manual. Simple really...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
In my Clymer it says to change them every 8000 miles. With good ol' NGK's.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
It's critical to change sparkplugs. I changed mine on my '93 at 100,000 and was thinking about doing it again at 175,000 but sold it instead. If it starts easily, idles without a miss and runs with no detectable miss I'd just take a look at them, check the gap and put them back in if the center electrode wasn't rounded badly.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I had planned on doing my plugs, like Kimswang and Rpeters have done, by the manual's recommendation. Good to know what others do.

I had a leak on my '82 GL1100 show up when it started getting cold last year. I had driven it all one season, 6000+ miles no leak and 7K+ the second season but when we started getting cold fall nights it started having a couple of drops when sitting overnight. The bike was always stored indoors but it turned out to be a slightly loose hose. I doubled the clamps and it took care of it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
I've ran my Iridiums for 40K and the bike starts immediately. I still get 42-44mpg. all day long.
I paid $6 a plug 7 years ago $6X4=$24. If I used Honda's advice, I'd have changed my plugs 10 times. $2X10=$20X4=$80+:readit:
What ever works for you.:waving:
Hobie

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Well, the Clymer says 8k, I am around 14 on this set, but will change them in the spring. I just throw a set in every couple years. Gived me a chance to eyeball all that stuff unter there.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I put Iridiums in my 76 in 2006 and changed them last year. I was having some problems and thought the plugs were it. Turned out they weren't the problem. Fortunately I didn't throw them away. I have also put them in the 82. Great plugs!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.