Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All here is a very simple question how often do you change your spark plugs. On my 82 GL1100I the PO had kept very good records and I was able to get them and he changed out his plugs every 4 to 5K miles. Is that right? I have a little over 3k on the bike since I got it back to riding condition. Any input would be great. Thanks

Marty

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

My genuine Honda shop manual (for 1980 - 1981 models)recommends changing the standard spark plugs every 4,000 miles (6,400km).

They recommend the DR8ES-L (NGK brand), or the X24ESR-U (ND brand), but remember, the book was printed in 1981...

The gap should be .024" - .028" (0.6 - 0.7 mm) using a wire type feeler gage. (I have always preferred togap mine at the lower end of the tolerance, so thatas they wear, the gaps will "grow" toward nominal, but that's just me.)

Some members have switched to those platinum or iridium (is it?) plugs, and report happiness along with longer service life. When new, the stock plugs will have a fairly sharp edge around the electrode perimeters. When the "sharpness" has rounded off due to normal wear, it is prudent to replace them.

Remember, if you suspect ignitionproblems, the cause(s) might also be with the plug caps and/or plug wires, on bikes this old, especially.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info. I am not having issues I just like to plan for my maintenece on my bikes and I knew things have changed withspark plugs just wanted to hear what others with the same vintage bike I have are doing. Great detail in the reply. I have a manual and yes it says the same thing I just could not beleive 4000 miles for a spark plug. WOW.

Marty

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I went over 10,000 between sets on my 83 just a couple years ago.
+1 on the caps and plug wires

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I have about 10k on my current plugs. I checked them about 1500 miles ago and they looked good. I cleaned them up and checked the gap, then in they went.It seems to be a waste to throw perfectly operating spark plugs away at 4k miles.,,

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The 4,000mile recommendation by Mother Honda was made when leaded gas was still around.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i just check mine every service 2500 miles or so i check the gap as far as the wires go when they go bad i change them

ive seen so many people change spark plugs when all you need to really do is adjust them i pulled the set outta my dads original 1950 studebaker pick up motor set the gap put them back in and they still work fine so if you check the gap and electrode wear there shouldnt be any issues

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

also spark plugs are made a lot better now

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I have never changed plugs in anything at only 4K in my life LOL

If it's running right and gas mileage is what it should be, why change them? At most check them like mentioned, but I have never even done that really other than when first buying a vehicle or if I have some problem like a miss or carb floats sticking and flooding out.

It's funny sometimes how we baby these bikes, but how often do we change plugs in cars and trucks? What's the difference really?

If I am doing other work where I pull the plugs, like timming belts, adjusting valves, or checking compression etc... then I check them of course since their out anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Oh, and when I bought my 82 1100 last year, the plugs were fine and don't know how old they were then, 10,000+ miles last year, and they are still in there now. ??? miles this year, mostly riding a 1500 now.
I got 42mpg to start when I when I bought 1100, still get 42mpg. Runs the same as always

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Although expensive, $8 a plug, Iridiums have worked very well for me. 40,000 miles on them and I still get 40-42 mpg and the bike fires up with just a touch of the starter button.

I think even with standard plugs, if everything else is right, should go many thousands of miles. If the bike runs well, fugedaboutit.;)

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

With standard range plugs they have been in 6 years. They are removed checked, cleaned gapped and re-installed.

With over 20,000 km they perform well still. The gap is set to the low of the spec setting.

Always anti-seized and no tighter than 1/2 turn after contact.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
imported post

If your bike is in good tune and is running correctly they can last many more miles than 4k. I have 25k on my 76 gl1000 and the plugs look and test almost like new. However if 4k mile equals peace of mind then go ahead and change them..

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I expect at least 10-12,000 out of my E-3's.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I went with the NGK Iridium (Advance Auto, #2202 cost $7.09 each).

I can tell a huge difference in how she runs, Power, and I went from 42.5 to 47 average on MPG. So they are worth the extra cost to get them.

My road is about 1.3 miles long and it's a 25 MPH posted speed limit. Running 2nd or third gear it would always seem to be fowling out or skipping a bit, very hard to maintain those slow speeds. The new plugs cleared that up.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Wow a lot of different inputs. Thanks a bunch group. This is all good information. Do not know which I will go with pulled the current plugs last night and cleaned them up they look good so I will keep on riding. Thanks for all the feedback.

Marty

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Mention of Anti-sieze reminded me, that's another good reason to check plugs occasionally I guess, few years or so. If you never take them out they can seize up and be hard to get out.

On bikes might as well check them during winter maintenance with everything else each year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.