Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to know if any one uses any other brand other than NGK . Thanks Tim:stumped:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

An extra set of NGKs came with my GL1500. The NGK plugs had the big hex head. My spark plug socket(s) were either real tight or too big to get into the plug bore. So, I replaced theplugs with Champions, and they happened to have the smaller 5/8 hex. Easier to replace, IMO.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I highly suggest you checkout the NGK Iridium plugs GREAT!!! Order them at your parts store.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I had a Susuki Cavalcade and had the same problem with the socket not fitting in there. I just turned that sucker on the bench grinder,,,,,,,, worked great and still does.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Any standard brand of plug with the same characteristics of the OEM will work fine. Iridium plugs are excellent and worth the extra cost, exact brand isn't important.

Prediction: The above statement will be controversial. It is however, correct.:p

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

timbuck wrote:
How many miles on the plugs.
I see your riding a 1200, Have you looked at the recommended mileage for changing the plugs?

It is Replace every 4000 Miles. I used to get about a year out of them and then they didnt work worth a s&^%t

Right now I use AC121 XLS I get a little better service out of them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Buy your Iridium plugs from an auto parts store, not a bike shop. You'll pay lots less.

I got almost 24K miles out of my last set, and they didn't need changing, I just had a new set collecting dust that I just had to use....

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have been running my NGK for almost a year!!... might change them soon. i have less than 6k miles on them anyway but it might be time.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have 65,000 miles on the plugs in my 1500 and it starts and runs just fine. Spark plugs last a long time in modern engines with electronic ignition and lead free fuels. I let the plugs go in my Grand Marquis they had 145,000 miles on them when I sold the car last week. Never had a bit of trouble and the big V8 powered sedan was getting 22mpg around town and 26 on the highway which is about as good as it can get for one of those big boats.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's nice that you like them but it doesn't prove they are any better than another brand.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I switched to Iridium's (NGK) in my 1200 ( from stock NGK) at the beginning of last season and agree with Exaviad thatIridums are excellent ..... I noticed right away an increase in performance. I personally like to stick with NGK simply becauseHonda recomends themhowever I think any quality plug willl perform just as well . As with most subjects it is a personal choice I would suggest that if you decide to go with a long life plug you use a spot of anti-seize on the threads as they may be in there for a while and you will want to easily remove them sometime in the future

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
That's nice that you like them but it doesn't prove they are any better than another brand.
I wasn't saying they were, just personal preference.

I experimented with different brands to find out what ones gave the best performance with the drag bikes. NGK won hands down. Less fouling and better E.T.s. Just an opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I've had a set of iridiums in my 76 for over 2 years now. They have over 20,000 miles on them and running great. I pull them out every six months or so to ensure they don't get locked in. I also have them in the 78, but they've only been in about a year, and it hasn't gotten near the riding as the 76.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I run NGKs or Champs, whichever is handy or on sale. One I will NEVER use again is Bosch Platinum. . . . . . . . ever since I pulled one out of my work car, with the entire center electrode assembly and insulator MISSING.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Wal Mart Iridiums!
Only way to go.
$2.99 for an eight pack.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Must be a rebate or on clearance.