Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One of my spark units just died. Before I go to ebay, I'd like try try the local salvage yard. I believe the same spark unit was used on other model Hondas. Does anybody know if there is a list somewhere I could see what other bikes this might come from? Would a dealer tell me? I figured if anyone would know, this group would! Thanks for all the help so far!!!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Can you describe the symptoms of your dead spark units (Amplifiers). Mine went extemely hot, enough to melt the tar based sealant. I removed and cleaned the connectors, cleaned the bolt and welded nut holding the units to the bike and taped up the covered leads to verify if further tar would leak out. After re-assembly the bike started up and ran great, idled for 1/2 an hour and spark units remained cool to the touch. I have discovered that a lot of problems with an older bike is simply time and dirt. All connectors should be removed, cleaned and re-assembled a few times to clean out the points of contact. All in all with a 25 year old bike the connectors seem to be well designed and well built. But as I see it they should be cleaned very regularly, especially in wet, hot, dry, cold conditions, you know always. If you get a schematic of the spark units I will rebuild the circuits and make new ones, but I do not know what is in them, since they are all covered up with tar.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You asked for symtoms:
bike began running real rough. pulled off the road :) checked spark to all plugs and found only spark to cylinders 3&4. changed plugs on spark units to switch which plugs get fired and now only get spark on 1&2. tried unplugging and cleaning connecters, but the units are pretty bad looking with almost all the tar melted out. i should have taken your advice and taken better care of it sooner. i do have a diagram of the inside from the haynes manual, but it doesn't have the values of the parts. It shows the 3 transistors, a zener diode, a couple capacitors,... i don't have a scanner right now but if you want, i could probably use a drawing program to sketch it out. i know a little about electronics, but not enough to build my own without values to the parts. so far, i guess i'll be going to the junk yard soon and see what they have.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just for information, heres a list of bikes where the spark units are the same:

Honda 650-1100 '79-'83
CB650 ALL '79-'82
CB750 ALL '79-'83
CB900 ALL '80-'82
CB1000C '83
CB1100F '83
GL1100 All '80-'83

Please correct me if you know I'm wrong. Just thought this was a good place to keep this information handy.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Brian,my spark units went out also because of a bad voltage regulator overcharging .The bad voltage regulator was caused by being stressed by a gray wire that had a full 12 volts power on it being plugged into a green wire[ground].I have since found out that the gray wire most likely is part of the signal lite system.

Added bonus is that my bike no longer uses up lite bulbs. I found that wireing behind the fairing weight on my bike.

Keep it vertical.Fred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.