Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted some input on a set of speakers for the Gold Witch. I would be looking for a set that will mount to the fairing much like I have now, not a pair that mounts to the handlebars. See below. Moderately priced. Most likely will need an amp. Want to change the radio too with something bluetooth.

This is my set up and it is old. The speakers(old Realistics) wash out easier than me on skis.

The radio was made by an unknown manufacturer, originally placed in Nixon's old Buick.

The only thing I like on the radio is that it has knobs. Having pre-sets and seek would be nice. That way I can lock in Dan Lebatard and the Stugotz.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Polk 405 or 505..since you can cut holes to match..much better than mounting on top of the fairing..just my .02, any good marine radio will do..and an amp to match speaker and radio. Lots of guys also mount speakers in the trunk too, to get "surround sound"...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is and a great solution. Ordered. Thank you Wayne.

I won't even have to drill new holes if my thinking is right.

·
Paid Site Sponsor
680 Posts
If memory serves me right the fairing has dimples for the bolts and we used wing nuts and just hand tightened them. On the factory radio install I had my daughters who had small hands run the harness under the headlight inside the fairings. I still have the factory stand that we used to mount the fairing to install the Type 1 and 2 systems.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
A set of OEM speakers on eBay right now for 2 days left $5

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
OEM speakers are 30+yrs old,most are way past their expiration date.just saying,4" Polks or a 3-way set of Pioneers are way better

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
4 inch is all that the OEM housings will allow.
Agreed, but OP wasn't trying to fit speakers into an OEM housing when the little Polks were first suggested. RB mentioned cutting holes in the fairing to flush mount them but now OP has spent money to limit himself to 4" speakers. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Those $5 Oem's are still on eBay no one has bid...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have those speakers ordered and should get them this week. Will put them on and see what they sound like. If I need better speakers than I have I'll get some. I have to admit that my audiophile-ness is not that strong on the motorcycle. Long as the volume is high enough and the speakers don't wash out it will be okay for me. Usually listen to ESPN radio in town. Pandora on longer rides.

Now for the radio.

Here's another question. Is the OEM antenna cable end a normal size? The radio that is on the bike right now has it's own little antenna, the PO did not hook up the other one. Seems to me that I have seen in the past that you need an adapter to join a modern radio to the old Honda unit????

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The OEM Honda units with, I think, the 4" speakers. They looked new in the pics.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the speakers that Wayne posted on and they are NOS I guess. All new stuff. My fairing did not have the holes already drilled but I made a cardboard template and they fit great. They sound great too. This may be one of the best buys I've had on this bike. Woot Woot. Thank you Wayne.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Glad you're happy with them. Those Realistics must have been shot if some 33 year old, 4" factory speakers were that much of an improvement. Now, you need to upgrade that old stereo to the one that was in Reagan's Caddy :wink2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.