Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello , I ve beenrestoringa 1984 honda with an air cooled motor and just got the engine back together and now I want to paint itflat black , obviously a high heat engine paint is needed but I was told that it will overheat if I do that, it is silver right now but just needs a new look. Any ideas about this thatI should know about , thanks for the help in advance,

Dupe

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

It's liquid cooled, so color is not relevant. I,ve had
more black engines than silver on air cooled bikes so that
may be a bit of a tall tale.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

TwoWings wrote:
It's liquid cooled, so color is not relevant. I,ve had
more black engines than silver on air cooled bikes so that
may be a bit of a tall tale.
There are air cooled 84 HOndas... since this is a goldwing forum, the assumption above was that this is about a water cooled gold wing, but it may not be.. maybe something else..

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

Even if it is air cooled, paint color should not affect engine temperatures. Paint thickness can affect temps but it would have to be quite thick.

·
Premium Member
12,782 Posts
imported post

Dupe, I'll take your word its an air cooled engine you want to paint . Lots of dirt bikes had black engines . The theory was that black paint disapates the heat faster . So go looking for the high temp paint as you stated . Some of these paints recomend that they be baked on . I did this to a bike I had as a kid . Let me tell you my mother wasnt happy I had cooked these engine cases in her oven . Puuuu it was smellly . :cheeky1:I never did that again in the house. I haveused an old oven outside for this purpose.Its possible now days that modern paints may not need this baking . I hope it turns out well for you .

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Black has a higher emissivity than light colours so it could be an advantage in some engines. If however the manufacturer didn't think it needed black then it might be a mute point.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

In the last couple years some custom shops have started offering anodizing of parts, wheels and so on . You can get just about any color. Might look pretty neat to have it anodized and then polish the fin edges.

Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.