Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2002 gl1800 and will be rebuilding the front forks soon. I have a new set of progressive springs and a complete fork rebuild kit.
My wife and I combined, weigh about 320 lbs,. and I have heard some people say that the progressive springs are a little too harsh over small bumps.
I asked my local honda dealer mechanic if I should put in a different weight fork oil in the forks to smooth them out over small bumps. I thought I should perhaps drop down to 5 weight from the factory 10 weight, but the mechanic said I should actually use 20 weight oil, as that would make it ride smoother.
Does that sound right to those of you who have experimented with different weight fork oils?
Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used 20w in both my Concours and the Gl1800 and found good improvement, more solid feeling on the road. I never felt the need to upgrade the springs. I ride sporty but not racetrack silly. Perhaps if I did, then I would upgrade the springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
I had Progressive Springs in both my '94E and my '98SE

too stiff for double?
I never had a pillion rider, and they are NOT too stiff.
they give you excellent control and can handle the RR tracks with aplomb.

My 1800 has Traxxion Springs, now those are STIFF.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
15 or 20 wt. Lighter oil with stiffer springs will make it unhappy. Put a progressive rear spring in it too, will make the wife happier.

Reactions: copper wing

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Oil is only there to dampen the shock movement, or rebound. Too light and the ride might be very springy. Too heavy may even cause the shock to not rebound fully and make the fork shorter.

Doesn't Progressive suggest 15w oil?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil is only there to dampen the shock movement, or rebound. Too light and the ride might be very springy. Too heavy may even cause the shock to not rebound fully and make the fork shorter.

Doesn't Progressive suggest 15w oil?
I didn't see any fork oil recommendation on the paperwork. Got them off internet.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
I think 20w is going to be too stiff, I suggest 10w

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to mix the bel-ray 10w and 15w in a bottle, then use that. But found 15w Lucas synthetic oil to run just right in my sons gl1500 wing with progressives. I also have them set 5mm high in the top of the triple tree.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
About same weight as my wife and I.
10w is the one to use.
Progressive said that for my 88 and 2012 with their springs and our weight.

I had tried 15w and it was too stiff on my 88.

Reactions: copper wing
1 - 13 of 13 Posts