Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Y'all,

I was riding around yesterday and started getting a high-pitched whine from my front end (the bike, not me). I thought at first it was the fender rubbing the tire somehow because it related to wheel speed and not revs, but then I noticed my spedometer doing jumping-jacks as the whine cycled in and out. I have a manual for a GL 1000... is the mechanism the same for the 1100? (I would assume it is, just need some tips for repairing it.)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The mechanism is different. We had this topic recently and apparently the GL1000 mechanism doesn't have the lug for holding it against the fork leg.
Usually a whine would suggest the cable is worn though.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Just bought a new speedo cable from "JC Whitney" and it's whisper quiet, works great, the wine is gone !

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

The Speedo drive off a 78 or 79 is the same on the inside (gears) I'm told and they look the same except for a little "NUB" on the drive that buts up against the fork on the 1100's, it's not there on the 1000's?! But a bike mechanic said it still would work fine and not move on you because the "Dog Plate" and pressure of the spindle locks it in?!

Don't know if thats correct but the "Dog Retainer" appears like it would lock it in?

I have a "speedo drive" off of a 78 1000 if your interested ? 775-513-1742 Pete

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

The wine is gone?!! Alas, no more nectare for the wee lads.

Glad you got your problem fixed.:)

Hobie

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

.... and I wonder what wingdawg is doing keeping one of our canine friends in his front wheel hub... sorry, bad jokes are an affliction with me.

The speedo cable has now joined my ever lengthening order list from JC Whitney... this morning on the way in to work my speedometer actually starting bouncing back and forth from 0 to 85 like a windshield wiper gone mad. I'm sure I have ground the spindle in the hub into a pulp.

...gotta learn to resist the riding temptation and do some repairing.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I seem to have had a ghost in the machine. ( I should have know better than to have named her after my deceased ex-girlfriend.... guess Kate was just letting me know she was enjoying the ride too.) My spedometer is on the mark now and doesn't make a sound.... going to replace the cable anyway just in case.

Happy Friday the 13th!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.