Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have received my new speed bleeders.............now finding the time to install. My question relates to bleeding after removing the original bleeders.

Will much air be introduced during the change and should I expect any trouble with a successful bleed using the new Speed Bleeders?

Might add that I do almost all my own maintenance but brake bleeding drives me CRAZY!

Cheers!

T.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Assuming your calipers are full of fluid, there shouldn't be much if any air introduced when installing the speed bleeders... All your doing is removing one valve on top of the caliper and replacing it with another... A few presses of the brake pedal or hand lever and topping off the fluid is all that should be needed... I used them for years on my 1500 and was completely satisfied with them... I have not ordered them yet for my 1800 but I will when the time comes around to do that maintenance...

Les

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Not sure what speed bleeders are, but......

All I can say is, get a Mityvac, and all your problems are over!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The fluid needs changing yearly if you want to have clean calipers and seals so they don't hang up on you when you need them to work. Proper PM makes riding more enjoyable. Just do it! Or pay to have it done.
If you wait 3 years or more to change the fluid, the damage is done and it's time to pull the systems apart and do a thorough cleaning, lots of gunk will be in the calipers and the clutch slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
When you remove the OEM bleeders, there will be a slight fluid seepage as gravity forces fluid out. So there shouldn't be any air back into the system. But as "dadztoy" said, just a couple of pumps is all you will need. I have tried the vacuum way of bleeding brakes int the past, nothing but nothing is easier then the Speed Bleeder.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
I installed some speed bleeders on my 1500 about 1 1/2 years ago and I really like them. I didn't get any air in the lines when I installed them on mine. Just unscrew the old ones and screw the speed bleeders in. The speed bleeders have some sealant on the threads so air is not introduced in the lines while it is loosened and bleeding the brakes.
I also got the little plastic bag with a clear tube that plugs on the bleeder so when you bleed the brakes it catches all the old fluid and you can see when it clears up and all the air is gone. No mess at all and no brake fluid dripping down on the bike parts.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Just removing the old bleed nipples and fitting new one won't introduce any air, so long as you don't touch the brake lever or pedal until after you make the change. Also make sure the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder doesn't drop below the bottom of the reservoir while you are working. If you work quickly you will only lose a very small amount of fluid, so unless you butter fingers or fumble it the chances of the level dropping too far are slim.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have 4 SpeedBleeders on my '85, and love them. You can't go wrong. I also have a MityVac for use on cars, but IMO the SpeedBleeders are a much better deal. It's so easy it makes you want to bleed the brakes just for fun, and takes all the hassle out of replacing brake fluid every couple of years.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I have the speed bleeders on my 99 Aspy, I had them on my 86 Aspy and I also have them on my 48 Ford F-3 pickup, I too used to have problems bleeding brakes and find it very easy to do with the speedbleeders

Ed

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks gang...........will tackle the task when I get back from much warmer climes!

Oh, did I NOT mention I'm heading to Palm Springs? :)

T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.