Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

If just the hubby and me I try to stay right at 68, best mpg. If with others, go what ever everyone picks

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I think at 65, the speed to cruise is 65.

What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Ok, not being funny, but depends on the location and speed limits.
If I'm in the West and the limits on the interstates is 75 or so, that's about where I drive. In other locations, if it's 65 or 70, then that's it.
Driving with a GPS I know what speed I'm going and just like to stay with other traffic instead of going slower and getting tail-gated.
How long depends on circumstances. In Wyoming, it'll be a long time, other places less.
Not sure if that's the answers you wanted.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
imported post

The Goldwing is quite capable of maintaining any legal speed for as long as the fuel holds out and you can handle the saddle.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I ride as I feel like riding, or flow with traffic as needed.

The gold wing don't care how we ride as long as we go somewhere!

On a long trip I try to avoid too much traffic, I run about the speed limits. If nice weather and I like the scenery and no hurry I may poke down an interstate at 60-65mph even in a 70mph area if no traffic.
If I'm in a hurry or looks like I'm barely out running a storm, or riding interstates I been on 50 times already and bored with I may run 75-80mph in a 70mph area if no traffic ( I don't do that much though).
Out west with no traffic and could see the same thing ahead for 50 miles on long straight Interstate I ran some at 80-85Mph in 75mph areas but also some at 60mph so it averaged out correct LOL

Basically just enjoy the trip and ride safe and don't get any tickets! That's all that really matters.

As far as how long I ride at a time, that also varies a great deal. I have been known to ride 700+ miles and just stop for gas 3 times, or I have rode stopping every 50 miles for various reasons.

Allot depends on the reason for the long trip also.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Once you get comfortable to the sound of the engine humpin' along at 75, it will run that way all day long. Once you slow down to town speeds you'll think you're crawling. Between the orig owner and myself, my bike has run many 75mph 10hr days. I just turned 100,000 last week and it runs perfectly still. You would be better served to just focus on good tire condition and ride the snot out of that little filly.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

I ride mostly in the west with speed limits at 70-75mph (a little 80 in Utah), cruise about 8 over, 290 to 325 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Can anyone explain to me what the thread is about?

I re-read and re-read the OPs question and can't make sense of it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
imported post

It's a text. I had to go real slow, too.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

njbiker2008 wrote:

what speed do you cruse at
Usually, about the speed limit, give or take a couple? Here, that's 65-70 on interstates but I tend to avoid them, so it's usually 55-60 on primary and US highways ....and back roads vary according to laoyout.

65 or more

Rarely much over that, as said above.

and for how long going for big ride

I and wife who's usually along .... we stop near abouteach100-120-130 miles at least , give or take some. Depends on opportunities.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
imported post

80 to 85 along uncongested interstates is my preference. My ride time for comfort is about 10-12 hours, which works out to around 700 miles or so...

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

depends on the highway I am riding on. highway 55 which is straight and boring as hell, 80-85 mph. highway 70 75 - 80 mph (patrolled by state police more than the other highways imo), counrty highways not major interstates 70-75 mph. my goldwing seems to be the most happy at 70-75 mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.