Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I tried to upload a 6 min video to youtube. It takes about 2.5 hrs or so. I do it overnight when I go to sleep. for some reason the uploading stopped and I had to start it again. I walked across the street to my son who plays videogames and has a speedy internet It took less than 20 min for the upload. But im fine with my cheappy I have at home since it is not often I upload data. I can watch two netflix movie at the same time with no problem

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
860 Posts
Almost all internet providers give you a small fraction of your download speed as upload speed. I get 200Mb/sec download but can only upload at 6Mb/sec.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
AT&T restricts uploads to < 10%
that was true when I had ADSL phone line ISP service, and it is still true with my LTE Wireless modem.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
293 Posts

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
It usually takes a while for me to upload a video but the last one I did went pretty fast. My normal upload speed is dismal.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
Compared to yours, I think I am happy with this speed test.
View attachment 322265
Downloads are the most important thing for most of us...
the uploads are aggravation, but the word I get from Administrators, the ISPs do it "on purpose" to prevent us from putting up a Hosting Service without paying for the privilege.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When my contract with Comcast is up I'm looking to switch to CenturyLink. They just finished lighting up Gigabit Fiber in my neighborhood, promising "symmetrical" 980Mb download/upload speeds for $59/mo (plus taxes etc) and free modem.

With competition like this I'm surprised Comcast hasn't lowered their monthly rate and/or upped the speeds. I'm paying $95/mo for their 200/6 Mb speed. Their cable here is Gigabit-Capable, but to get that speed is Awful Spendy.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comcast is a PIG. Had them in Jersey and they kept on going up and up and up. So periodically I terminated their service and get a new one in the same day for a break. Was good for a year. The president was making like 300mils/year. Im for capitalism but that was more like a monopoly

·
Registered
860 Posts
They are Horrible. I had Internet-Only 250/12Mb service for years at something like $88, then one month it jumped to $116. I complained. Getting a TV/Internet bundle with 100/6 speed got the bill under $100. I never used the TV box. Then after a year that jumped way up over $100. Switching the bundle to Internet/Phone service brought it down to $95. Didn't want the phone service either, but Internet-Only is still over $100. So now I have a dialtone and phone number with no phone connected to it. Contract is up in November.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
you guys are lucky to have fiber anything....

we will never have fiber, period!
we have about 4 different services that use Radio Tower to beam a WiFi signal to you at 2.5g
the speeds are miserable, and the service is jsut as bad.

I am using AT&T LTE wireless for my ISP and it is costing me $95/month only because I was the first one to sign up. new services are now $115/month for the same thing.

.and I am lucky to get 15Bmps half the time.

it is 3 pm and I just ran a new speed test, worse than the last time

·
Registered
860 Posts
Comcast 2 yr contract coming to an end. I got my fiber installed on Friday! What a difference, Comcast is 200Mb download / only 6Mb upload.
I'm returning their modem this afternoon. Bye-Bye.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
Comcast 2 yr contract coming to an end. I got my fiber installed on Friday! What a difference, Comcast is 200Mb download / only 6Mb upload.
I'm returning their modem this afternoon. Bye-Bye.
View attachment 324246
WOW!!!!

that is a huge difference....
you could work in the clouds, the same as using local HDD/SSD speeds with that kind of performance.

now that winter is on us, the tree leaves are gone, and the "terrain" is lower to the ground now. Reminder, I am on LTE cellphone towers.

here is a history of various speed tests for me.... note that one time only, in the wee hours, I got 80Mbps dn.
but in all Cases, look at the Miserable upload speeds.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm not at all sad to see Comcast go. This fiber connection is a little less expensive, "Price for Life" - they promise no price increases as long as I keep electronic billing, installation was free - Fiber all the way into the house and into the back of the modem, modem is free, too. Plus Comcast likes to raise their prices every year or so.

·
Magic Moderator
4,631 Posts
Mine is slow as usual, its cold in Lovington and the electrons must be getting all bunched up and not wanting to move. 🤣

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I feel so sorry for you guys.. NOT..
Mine if i am lucky is 3 download and 1 upload.
Evenings when everyone is home it is cut in half or less.

Sucks to download Garmin updates.. 8hrs minimum

Supposed to get fiber next year. Yeah right. I will believe it when i see it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
Well, AT&T is back to their ole crap again, it is 12:40 just past midnight, and I should be able to have decent speeds, but I am being throttled for some reason.... can't be kids doing "At Home" learning, they are in bed.

·
Magic Moderator
4,631 Posts
This is what I normally deal with through T-Mobile/Sprint. By evening when everyone 'Hops' on, it will be worse yet.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
I would love to have consistent upload speeds like that.
mine are usually sub-basement level, like 0.3

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I'd love to have even your speeds, Trike lady. We had Century Link for awhile. DSL. Download was usually under 1.5M. Upload was around .2M. We now Verizon unlimited. Download is around 2.5M and upload is about 1M. Only other service here is satellite. Verizon unlimited is cheaper for us than Century Link was. My brother lives outside Exeter, MO and has internet through their electric coop. For less than $50 a month, they have near gigabit speeds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts