Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Was out riding today with my gps and noticed that my speedometer was reading about 3 mph faster than what mygps was saying. I feel certain that my gps is reading accurately also. Does anyone know how to correct this and what is causing this issue? Thanks

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

That is really pretty close, probably closer than most speedometers on anything.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

3 mph faster at 10 MPH or 70 MPH? They make a yellow box to compensate for the difference, but only electronic speedos, not mechanically driven ones.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I can't recall anyone using a Speed Healer on their Wing, but my brother in law got one for his VTX1800 and swears by it. I've been thinking of getting one and make the adjustment at the same time as I play with the cruise control in the spring time.

Regards,

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

jodell2 wrote:
Was out riding today with my gps and noticed that my speedometer was reading about 3 mph faster than what mygps was saying. I feel certain that my gps is reading accurately also. Does anyone know how to correct this and what is causing this issue? Thanks
When you get pulled over you can say "officer these speedos are notoriously off so I don't know exactly how fast I was going." :praying:

Just make sure you don't have the GPS hooked up.

Mine shows about 4 mph off at 30 - 35 mph

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

I didn't realize at first it was an 1800 you were referring to since you have a 1500 in your profile. Yes there is a speedo healer for that. I wouldn't bother with it for 3 mph myself, most 1800s are off more than that though. Usually about 5mph @70.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

If you know the speedo is off 3 mph at speed then put that in your memory bank to adjust for that & then use the $$ savings for more riding.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

5 vehicles here, truck, 2 cars, 2 bikes.

None of them have a speedo closer than 3 mph. Most show 3+ over actual. The truck is 4+

FaGedAboutIt, just isn't worth the hassle.

It is an OEM thing from nearly all of the manufacturers to keep out of lawsuits resulting from speedos showing "less than" actual speed. It has been that way for more than 2 decades.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Try a slightly larger front tire :?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

None of them have a speedo closer than 3 mph. Most show 3+ over actual. The truck is 4+

It is an OEM thing from nearly all of the manufacturers to keep out of lawsuits resulting from speedos showing "less than" actual speed. It has been that way for more than 2 decades.

My sentiments exactly! :shock:These threads kill me!

So your speedo is slow by 3mph, or your fuel gauge shows it's 'empty' when you actually have 1 1/2 gal of fuel left .... BIG DEAL!That's why they come with a low fuel level warning light (lights up with 1 gal of fuel left) Lots of other makes/types ofbikes are out by 10mph @ 60mph and don't have a gas gauge, just a low fuel level light.

Adjust to it, save your money for fuel .... and 'Ride 'Em'! No such thing as 'Perfection' ... even on a wing. :ShakeHead:

Next thing you know people will say "my bike has never seen rain" yawell ... you're not a 'rider' thenare you............ just a Hobbyist who will spend unlimited funds on your bike, just to take a day ride and never really go anywhere other than the DQ!:laughing:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Try a slightly larger front tire :?
On an 1800 the speedometers dont read off of the front tire ,so tire size doesnt make a difference. Larger tires on the front of an 1800 have a tendency to chew up the plastic fenders.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

jodell2's profile indicates a Gl1500, I assumed that was the bike he was referring to :?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Only 3 mph?You got a good one.

·
267 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

So your speedo is slow by 3mph, or your fuel gauge shows it's 'empty' when you actually have 1 1/2 gal of fuel left .... BIG DEAL!That's why they come with a low fuel level warning light (lights up with 1 gal of fuel left) Lots of other makes/types ofbikes are out by 10mph @ 60mph and don't have a gas gauge, just a low fuel level light.

Adjust to it, save your money for fuel .... and 'Ride 'Em'! No such thing as 'Perfection' ... even on a wing. :ShakeHead:

Next thing you know people will say "my bike has never seen rain" yawell ... you're not a 'rider' thenare you............ just a Hobbyist who will spend unlimited funds on your bike, just to take a day ride and never really go anywhere other than the DQ!:laughing:

Ken, Why don't you justtell it as it is!

I do agree withyou 100% though. Some of my best trips were at places where the weather was not at it's best. It does raise the concentration level a little more when riding in thunderstorms, hail & ice.I do try to aviod ice now if I can, but in mountains that can bedifficult at times.

Regards, Tony.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

It's what makes trips 'adventures', Tony

People nowadays are wrapped up in a safe little cocoon, whether they realize it or not.

Now some of you make think I'm a bit harsh here, .... but,...... when/if you step back and take a good look at your 'demands/expectations' of your bike andsee how insignificant your expectations/wants are of your bike's perceived 'perfection' is, I think you'll look at your bike's small idiosyncrasies as merely trivial, in the overall scheme of touring. People are demanding 'Perfection' in every aspect of their wings, just so they can ride them down the street to the local DQ and never explore more than a 2day's ride from where they live. JMHO. :?

How many of you have never even rode it until the low fuel level has come on! ..... Ever ridden it on a week long trip! ..... Ever ventured out of your home state! :readit:Think about it!

I was doing these things solo when I was 24, on my 75 GL1000 and never thought anything of it not having a fuel gauge that wasn't 100% accurate (didn't even have one!), or that the speedometer was probably more than 5mph out @ 70mph!

:doh: Come on people, instead of complaining about these trivial imperfections (these are not cars!) realize what they are, adapt to them, break out of your safe little cocoons and go explore someplace further than 2 days away! :ShakeHead:

Dusty .... agent provocateur of thought! :coollep:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:

Naw they just ride down to the bike shop to show off their ride as they pose.
POSERS!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Great post Dusty.

In 1976 Ihad a Norton 850 Commando. A friend bought a used Kawasaki 900. He said that it went 135 (mph). I did not give it much thought because I had heard that the 900s were really fast andI knew that Japanese bikes had very optomistic speedometers back then. If you recall, the 900's had their speedos tipped up quite a bit from horizontal. One evening we were out riding on a long straight stretch of road. I passed him doing 105. Sure enough when I looked over at his bike he was doing 135. British bikes of that ere were actually known for relatively accurate speedos. They were Smiths.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Wow Ken, Who urinated on your cornflakes this morning????:action::action::action::action::action:
Your just jealous cuz Beaverton doesn't have a D.Q.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.