Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For the most part I want to be patient, understanding and when necessary forgiving.

However, I know the older I get the more I gripe, find fault and am judgmental about situations that make no sense no matter what the age. In this case I think my gripe and bitch are within bounds.

Newspaper reports hiway patro yesterday clocked a cycle rider at 137 mph on a well traveled county road nearby.

No wonder the cycle riding community is touchy and sensitive that many hiway users thinkwe who ride are careless, wreckless, insensitive and uncaring what ourpassion for the open roadinfrequently does.

There was no accident in this case but had there been....????

Polkwing

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Wow. I sure am glad to hear I am not alone in the older I get the grumpier I get group.

I thought it was just me.:waving:

As far as the community goes, I really don't care what they think about me.:cool:

At least you are not alone.:ROFL:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
imported post

Makes me look old and useless.

I just rode down to the neighboring community to check on some property for sale, then to the store for bread, and then by Walgreens for my old age meds.

I doubt that I got over 40 mph on the whole trip.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

It isn't only speed that makes us riders get looked down upon. Today I was riding on a road and changed position in the lane to avoid a man-hole cover. A driver coming from the other direction gave the me :?as if to say what was that for. Some people have no idea what riding involves but they are fast to jump to conclusions. No wonder when people are out there garnering headline like this guy.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We have a similar issue locally but it's with some of our local Provincial Police officers. Our road is a 45 mph limit with houses every 2 - 300 feet and a 3 foot running/biking lane on our side. 3 - 4 times a week we see the cruisers going past at double the posted limit with typically nothing more than their lites flashing, occasionally we'll hear a siren blast.
Our 3 closest neighbours and another within sight are police officers ( non with the officers in question). They all shake their heads saying there is Absolutely NO REASON for those speeds on our road.
Bikers are a community, police officers are a community, paramedics who I worked with and firemen form a community, there are some in every identifiable group who make the rest of us have to work harder to maintain our desired image.

Ride Safe & keep up the hard work. :action::action:

I'm grumpy but deny being old :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

Just tonight while eating supper with buddies heard buddy's radio crackle and a Trooper in Highland County persue a couple on Rt 220 south of Monterey, he said he checked them at 130. Some long straights on that piece of road. He got two stopped anyway and shortly was joined by another officer.

That means a trip to jail here.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Several years ago, when I lived in Texas, they clocked a crotch rocket at 172 MPH on hwy 190 going from Killeen to Temple, they set up a road block for him and fortunately they got him stopped before he killed himself or someone else.I think it was a 1300 Hyabusa or something like that. Not the kind of road that I would even want to do 100 on, myself.:shock:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I occasionally practice a bit of civil disobedience and crack the triple digit marker on the speedo. But, it is only on open, smooth roads with no other vehicles in sight. If I kill myself, that one thing. If I take someone with me, I couldn't live with that.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

No one has the right to traumatize others by turning themselves into a pile of corned beef hash.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

I still like to go fast. I've had my Wing over 110mph indicated, and have had other bikes over 145mph on the open highways. I outran Porsche 911's in the old 442 that I had in the 80's (in excess of 175mph).

Recently, I've been reflecting on a lot of things, and I've seen that I have been living my life the same way...always in a rush, never slowing down to enjoy anything.

I've decided to change that and start living my life. Life is a One-Way Road. There is no turning around and going back. Enjoy the trip while you can. I have been trying to slow down and enjoy the view, sometimes I ride under the posted speed! (Not much below though! I don't want to create a traffic hazard, or annoy people enough to cause them to drive stupidly. I actually pulled over and let people pass so that I could ride slower and see some back road views.)

Now, with that being said, I'd still like to ride a hot bike over 200mph and join the 200 MPH Club, but I'd prefer to do it in a controlled environment with no traffic or animals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.