Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI,everyone don't know if this is of any interest but here goes.Driving back from Leigh on Sea today at about 4pmi had a choice of two routes along the seafront or along the London rd,the later being the shortest way home,so i took the London rd(,by the way i was in my car)on a stretch of rd irealised iwasdoing 45mph and saw i had just passed a GASTO camara :Xislowed down to 30 as soon as possible i do not remember it flashing but with my luck,i know it is no excuse but i was the only car on that stretch of rd at the time.Looks as if inow face a £60 fine plus penalty points onmy licence,:(oh well i suppose it serves me right for loosing concentration & not keeping a check on my speed.bikerfred:gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey bikerfred :waving: Thats the luck of the draw.:crying:You were only 15mph over the limit but you pay the same penalty as the cowboy :whip: over the limit by30mph. :stumped:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

HI Redwing,i know it's no good moaning but it eases my feeling to tell some one else about it.If i had been on my trike iam sure i would have been more awarei suppose i should count myself lucky i have gone 30 years with a clean licence.bikerfred

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

I brought a Road Angel 2 for this reason - dont speed around the countryside (well not much anyway) but the road Angel gives me plenty advanced warning of any fixed camera and is pretty good at picking up mobile stuff as well. The beauty of this is that I can also put it in the car and use it there. The unit sits alongside the Sat Nav (see attached). I cant afford to loose my licence so this was a viable (but pricey) option.

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi bikerfred,

I know the feeling, I was having such a nice day, me and her indoors on the backcruising up the A34 at a "FAST" road speed when mister plod pulls me over. The jist of the conversation went like this

' Sir, I know it's a nice day and there is no Traffic about. Your riding style is smooth and not a danger to anyone, however you were driving slightly fast. Do you know how fast,'

Not willing to condem myself, 'of course I do Officer'

realising he's not going to get a straightanswer' well sir we switched the VASCAR off at 96mph and as we know, you were doing a little bit faster than that wern't you'

what could I say, I was doing over 30mph more!

3 points £60 fine later(could have been my licence) my 22 year's of having a clean licence came to an end and 4 years later it still affects my insurance premiums!

But I've got say, gatso's are just money makers, bring back effective policeing, a face to talk to and not an automaticcomputer response that just sees fast=fine

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Hi bikerfred,

I know the feeling, I was having such a nice day, me and her indoors on the backcruising up the A34 at a "FAST" road speed when mister plod pulls me over. The jist of the conversation went like this

' Sir, I know it's a nice day and there is no Traffic about. Your riding style is smooth and not a danger to anyone, however you were driving slightly fast. Do you know how fast,'

Not willing to condem myself, 'of course I do Officer'

realising he's not going to get a straightanswer' well sir we switched the VASCAR off at 96mph and as we know, you were doing a little bit faster than that wern't you'

what could I say, I was doing over 30mph more!

3 points £60 fine later(could have been my licence) my 22 year's of having a clean licence came to an end and 4 years later it still affects my insurance premiums!
Hey JOHNO :gunhead: There is no comparisonbetween your offence and bikerfred. :whip: You have admitted riding your wing at over 120mph with your wife on board :crying:I didn't think a :12grey:could go that fast. You should have been locked up. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

I notice here in Ireland that most of the speed checking is done by An Garda Síochána. I get speed checked every single day, usually on the North Ring road in Cork or on the Cork/Dublin road. I must admit that I have no problem with this as I would prefer to discuss my speed with a Garda, then have an anonymous speed camera automatically process a fine, points etc., if I was a little over the limit. I find Ireland a huge contrast to the UK (where I was living for thepast 8 years before march). In the UK there was a sea of Gatsos wherever you went, we had the dubious honour of having the most densely speed camera populated area in the UK, in Watford where I used to live. The bizarre thing in Englandwas that I was never radared by a policeman. I hear that the government here is going to hand over the running of speed cameras in Ireland to the private sector, this in my opinion is a total disaster, the result will bethe end ofspeed checking by the Gardai, and cameras on every road generating revenue for the Government and theprivate sector, this will not improve roadsafety. whereas the police presence on the road is going a long way towards making the roads safer, particularly for the likes of us on two wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Greenwing :waving: I endorse all your comments. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing IT WAS A NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE DAY

:D:D:D:D

and all she could do was Giggle:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

my excuse was I was seeing if the Torque limiter was working!!!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I agree as I have been driving 30yrs without gettingso much as a parking ticket. I am no angel butit is just that when stopped by a Traffic Cop he is usually an old collegue who gives me a by-ball. That is why these anon computer operated Gatso devices scare the hell out of me. Only a matter of time before I ruin my clean record.

I find the most frustrating driver who causes the most problems on the road is thedriver who sits at 40 mph on a wide open road obliviois to all around himor the one who refuses to overtake a tractor or lorry when the road is clear a mile ahead making your overtake twice as difficult. A good well trained alert driver is farsafer at the speed limit than the doddering fool sitting with their chin at the windscreen at 35mph on a clear road.

Then there is the guy who needs glasses and doesn't wear them. Before I retired from law enforcement I spoke to a gentleman who was having difficulty getting into his car. I subsequently found he couldn't see the lock and was unable to read the reg plate of his own car 3 ft away. This is the guy who will emerge from a minor road into your path claiming you were going too fast for him to see you??? I could go on about this subject all night as the antics of other drivers drives me nuts. I went out for grub an hr ago on our newly constructed by-pass. In a stretch of road just over a mile I was almost written off twice. One guy passed me at 90mph driving like a maniac and the other pulled right out of a minor road in front of me.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Yeah i have to agree that the standard of driving :stumped: in this little country of ours is deplorable :whip:

:crying::18red::crying:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Hey Redwing IT WAS A NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE DAY
:gunhead: :stumped: :crying: :baffled: :X :whip: :( :? :crying: :gunhead:

:crying::18red::crying:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

In Eugene, Oregon, 15 over will get you a $150 love note from the local constabulary. Ouch.

Just dont ask how I know this. It would have been in the car, when I would have figgered it out, if I had you know. Not the bike...

:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

had the 1800 one week and got radared at 70 in a 35 zone. Nice guy though, wrote me for 5 mph over. And thats only because another cop stopped to see if he needed assistance. First guy was too interested in the bike, was going to let me go with a warning. Oh well, $124 and no points is better than $500 and loss of license. Now MUCH more careful with the throttle.

Jack

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

I have never received a speeding ticket, until tomorrow. My advantage is that I have a license that I need, if someone ever decided to give me a job again. You see I am a stay at home pops presently, but my drivers license is a needed piece of paper for employment, so excessive speeding is not an option, only going with the flow of traffic. No accidents, no tickets and boy do the insurance companies just love to give me a big break on my insurance rates, so big that I do not even notice it.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

The good thing about Las Vegas is for $100 to $125 a lawyer will get the speeding ticket dropped down to a "Parking ticket", you still pay the fine also but your driving record stays clean!

One speeding ticket can raise your ins about $1200 over 3 years, so it's cheaper to give an attorney $125 right away !

But as soon as your outside of Vegas the lawyers want $500 per ticket , ouch !

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

In wisconsin they put up Trailers That show you your speed, and my friend didn't know they had cameras in them, so being the bright guy he was he decided to see how high he could get the numbers, Well about a week later he got a fine in the mail, with a picture of his car license plate blown up in the corner, showing 145mph in a 55 mph, $560 bucks and loss of license for six months, He thought the cops just put those things out there so you could check you speedo, What a Idiot, His wife wasn't to amused either.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Youngest son (16)just got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign and not using a turn signal. Cost him $360. I did not tell him, but that just did not seem fair.

Billy

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:dude: A policeman pulls a guy over for speeding. He tells the driver he's in a pretty good mood and it's the end of his shift. If thedriver can come up with a good story, he'd let the guy off.

The driver tells him that his ex wife ran off with a Highway Patrol officer and he thought the guy was trying to return her.

The office let him go. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Jerry

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

HI everyone did not know it would affect my insurance,still i will probably be giving it all up sometime this year so it does'nt really matter:(if it affects my premiums for next 4 years i will be 81 years old so will most likely be in my box:(sorry this such a morbid message but feeling a bit low speak to you all soon.bikerfred

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.