Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
imported post

HI johno, hope you don't mind me asking but do you know how much they loaded you on your premium,if it is not to drastic maybe i will get a few more months riding i am insured with CARROL NASH got afew more months before renewal.bikerfred

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

sorry but if you ride or drive like a twit you can expect to get fined like one. Rideing over the posted limit does only a few good things. These include getting the adrenalin going, causes a big grin and gives you personal enjoyment. However in moderen rideing/driving there are far to many non concentrating, phone using, blind, deaf drivers around whos only purpose is to upset your day.

A major factor for speeding is often the motorist not being aware of his speed due to being in the wrong gear (too high) causing excessive speed. Bikerfred i feel for you and hope the flash (if it happened) was an empty camera as you admitted it was a small lapse of concentration, and did reduce your speed.

im sorry for the rant but there are plenty of racing circuits offering track days where there are very few speed restrictions and all the road users are there for the same good reason, to enjoy themselves.

Oh yes i do speed, i love twisties, hard exceleration, but in moderation and where no one is going to photo, entrap or chase me into a speeding ticket.

is this bloke speeding?

http://www.hornskeith.com/deerwreck.wmv

just a sobering vid -- not for the feint of heart

<rant over>

keep the shiny side up

mr Normal and boring (nigel fenton)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Bikerfred,

Havn't I stirred up a hornets nest!!!

3 points and a fine load your insurance by about £30-40 but this reduces each year,

my insurance is with Bennets and I'm sure I didn't have to pay any extra the year the offence took place just got added on at the first renewall I'm down to £5 loading now,

as I said I had a clean licence for 22yrs and I fully endorse more positive policing

the differance between breaking the limit withina town/city near schools and hospitals or any built up area, which I try never to do, (which is near impossible when everybody else around you is goingmore than15mph over the limit with pocket rockets undertaking overtaking and riding blind cutting you up as well as the obligatory volvo/mondeo/white vanman) and riding on a duel carrigeway/motorway with no other vehicles around at a comfortable fast speed cannot be compared.

I'm not saying what I was doing when I got stopped is right, I new what I was doing and even saw the police carfollowing, what I'm saying is with the officer you get a fair judge of road conditions, riding style, condition of the bike etc With a camera you get flash bang £60 and 3 points no matter what.

shh don't tell any one, but a standard GL1200I does 128mph at 500rpm short of the red line

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

really I am a nice calm sensible bloke
:cool:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

with the officer you get a fair judge of road conditions, riding style, condition of the bike etc With a camera you get flash bang £60 and 3 points no matter what.

"generaly"

here here Johno

G

·
imported post

bikerfred wrote:
HI everyone did not know it would affect my insurance,still i will probably be giving it all up sometime this year so it does'nt really matter:(if it affects my premiums for next 4 years i will be 81 years old so will most likely be in my box:(sorry this such a morbid message but feeling a bit low speak to you all soon.bikerfred
Hey bikerfred :waving:Dont be feeling down about this, :crying:it's not the end of the world. :weightlifter:Your three or four yrs younger than me so keep up the chin and stay on your wing. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I talked to a guy who has a Honda Black Bird, cruises at 170 mph, he has a "Radar Scrambler" on it "Rocky Mountain" brand and says it works great on stationary radar and moving radar? It not warns you , it Scrambles the cops radar gun so he can't get a reading !

A Highway patrol man pulled him over and said I know about how fast you were going but i can't prove it? The guy popped off the "Scrambler" and stuck it in his pocket, so the officer didn't see it on his bike? It works 360 degrees as far as the officers radar works ?!

I never go more than 9 miles over the limit, but for some guys it's a good investment !

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey bikerfred, you always have us to lean on!Bike or no bike you're part of this family !

My friend "Hal Lindsey" is your same age and has written several best selling books you might enjoy, including "The Late Great Planet Earth"

hallindseyoracle.com

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
imported post

HI,REDWING,thanks for your reply,it pulled me out of the doldrums i will certainly do what you say keep up my chin& stay on my wing.bikerfred:)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
imported post

HI johno thanks for reply, also all the other members for there concern it really is good to know someone out there listens& is ready to give advice,which in future i will try to remember,:action:bikerfred

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
imported post

HI wingdawg101,thanks for reply i appreciate your saying with or without a bike i am still welcome on this site,also i looked up Hal lindsey site some good books will probably order one or more later on,bikerfred

G

·
imported post

bikerfred wrote:
HI,REDWING,thanks for your reply,it pulled me out of the doldrums i will certainly do what you say keep up my chin& stay on my wing.bikerfred:)
Hey bikerfred :waving:Thats what i like to see:clapper:and always remember wing or no wing your always welcome on this forum. :clapper:You will have your wing for a long time to come. :jumper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I am fairly new to the forum but I ruined 30 years of perfect driving record today also. I have read this forum. tuned the old bike up. I was trying it out this morning. second gear, the trooper said 43 in a 25 mph school zone. I really don't believe it but wasn't looking at the speedometer. first ticket was 30 years ago 43 in a 35mph zone. this just was not my morning. I guess the only thing that can be done is pay my dues and go on.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hoppy wrote:
I am fairly new to the forum but I ruined 30 years of perfect driving record today also. I have read this forum. tuned the old bike up. I was trying it out this morning. second gear, the trooper said 43 in a 25 mph school zone. I really don't believe it but wasn't looking at the speedometer. first ticket was 30 years ago 43 in a 35mph zone. this just was not my morning. I guess the only thing that can be done is pay my dues and go on.
School zones are a tough one and we should not ever speed in them for the kids sake!

With that said I would pay a Lawyer, he'll plead it down to a non-moving and keep your record clean thus your insurance won't go up for 3 years=$1200min, so the cost of the Lawyer is cheaper in the long run!

Just make sure you get one that someone has used before with good results!

P.S. Bike must run good !:clapper::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

yep, that tune up did wonders, it did catch me inattentive and not paying attention when I should have. I will check on a lawyer tomorrow. plus be really careful for the next three years. thanks for the advice. leon

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bikerfred, don't loose heart, you said you didn't see the camera flash, so there is a good chance it didn't get you, either because you slowed in time, or it wasn't a live camera. Until a nasty brown envelope drops through the door, don't even think about it. Just moderate your boy racer speed in the car and carry on enjoying the trike.

Many insurance companies take a lenient view of singular speeding offences, so you may not get your premiums loaded. It may be a couple of months before you hear from the speeding people, so try and tuck away a few bob a week ready and then if you don't get a ticket, you have some spare fuel money for the trike!!

Keep thinking positive and don't even think about giving up the trike until you can't climb aboard and ride.:)

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Nigelf, Sad vid.

To bikerfred and all others in the UK. Speeding (any speed) is no problem at all if

1/ You are very rich, and

2/ You are a celebrity, such as a footballer (U.S. translation: soccer player).

What you do is employ the services of a certain lawyer who will persuade the court that:

a) you were trying to escape the papparazi

b) you had a stomach upset and urgently needed the toilet (this 'valid' excuse also enables you to drive down the hard shoulder of the motorway)

c)the 'offending' driver cannot be identified in court because the police officer's presence has not been required. It is up to the prosecution to cover all bases and be able to second-guess smart-alec lawyers.

There are other ploys illustrating how those in the know and with the means can,essentially, play fast and loose with the laws of the land.:X

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The cameras work a little differently in most of the US. You get fined but no marks on your record. More or less like parking tickets. The cameras usually can't prove who was driving the car so the offense isn't against the driver but the owner of the vehicle. On a motorcycle it could be different if you don't have a full face helmet.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
...On a motorcycle it could be different if you don't have a full face helmet.
Another good reason to wear a full face helmet.:dude: Actually I try to stay close to the limit or the flow of traffic.

Bikerfred, how did you come out on this? I know you started this thread in May of last year, but it has been revived.

John

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

I was in college in an East Texas town and had a route I used to get myself to or away from my home. The problem was that turning onto a particular road, there was a school zone. Yeah, I knew it was there. But, I didn't know when the school zone was in effect 'cause it was when the lights were flashing only. By turning from the street I was on, I had no choice but to turn onto the street thatwas already in the school zone, so I couldn't ever see if the lights were flashing that the other drivers would see before they entered the school zone. I happened to have the opportunity to ask an officer there what the times were for that school zone. He asked, "Why, do you have the tendency to speed through there?" I told him that if I was doing the speed limit, and didn't know the school zone was in effect, then I would be speeding and not know it. If I knew the times of the school zone, I would know when not to do the original speed limit. He wasn't much help. Most of SanAntonio, TX has school zones from 7AM-9AM and 2PM--4PM. So, in my home town, I know when to slow down for school zones.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.