Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

have gotten new cables.is it allright to put a little graphite in them before putting on????

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I read on a previous thread that some cables come already lubed, and adding anything, could be detrimental. You may want to do some digging with the vendor you bought them from.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

True, they all seem to have had some lube, at some time. Since alot of these parts are old, sitting on a shelf forever, they have no lube left.

I have never had one lube fight another lube. I have had a couple of speedo cables snap in two due to zero lube and total rust. Basically, the seize in place and the torque twists the cable into two pieces. Amazingly, the top of the speedo cable had lube, but the middle had none, and snapped.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

just got cables from motoin pro.foot note said to put in a little lube wanted me to use motion pro.so i guess i will put a little graphite in them.like the price.had local mc.shop to get them for me they were $21.00 and some change...

·
Premium Member
63,018 Posts
imported post

I changed my speedo cable a few months ago.. It wasn't broken, the needle was just jumping at slower speeds.. I could have lubed it and it would have been fine but I had bought a new one, not knowing what I'd find.. My new one came pre lubed..
If I were to do it again and the cable wasn't broken, to save a lot of time and grief, I'd leave the old shield in place and just change out the inter cable.. The cable on a 1500 comes out the bottom.. I'd think it'd be the same on a 1100.. I'd slide the old inter cable in and out a few times to clean out the crud.. Put a little more grease on the new cable and shove it in.. A small twist will set it in to the speedo head, hook up the bottom and you're done......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.