Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Help , I was driving on the freeway yesterday with my cruise set on 75 and I was switching lanes to exit using the blinker and when I looked back at the Odmeter is was at zero. I then noticed the auto blinker wasn't working but I could shut them down manualy. Also the radio didn't seem to have the power or volume it did before. I then tried to re set the curise on the road but the curise light came on but it didn't set. I did notice the other day my needle was jumping on the speedo . Anyone have a clue what I should look for or should it go into the shop? I did check all fuses .

Any Help would be appricated , Bob

Ok , I think my cable broke now whats the best way of fixing this on a 1997 SE

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Your speedo cable is probably broken. When the cable breaks you also lose the turn signal canceller and the auto volume control. The cruise can't set because it now doesn't know what speed you are doing.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Replacing the cable can be done by pulling the left front rotor cover, remove the screw holding the lower end of the cable to the fork and pull it out. I remove the mirrors, two upper vents, windshield, windshield adjusters, and the dash panel. There are four screws that hold the instrument cluster to remove then you can pull the unit back enough to get at the upper end of the speedometer cable. This is a good time to replace any tired instrument panel lights. Some folks can manage to get their fingers under the instrument cluster without removing it but I've not been able to manage it. I'd sure recommend getting a Clymer manual, it describes this operation step by step with pictures.

Replace the speedo cable that's an easy job, no point paying a shop to do that. You will save more than enough money to buy a Clymer manual.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

PaulI orderd my manual but it won't be here until end of the week. Can you tell me how does the mirrors come off ?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm sending you a PM with the process.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Thanks,

I was able to remove my speedometer cable by reaching up under the front of fairing. I couldn't see what I was doing, but could feel it. I hope I can put the new one end without taking anything off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you could do it the easy way, I've not been able to do that, must be getting old.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Okay, we're the same age but you're more limber!:clapper:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.