Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK, I go on an overnighter with the club, and by the time I get home my speedo needle gets to floppin' around in an exaggerated manner. More on rough roads, so I figure it's that drive gear, or maybe the cable.

This morning I tear it down and find nothing wrong...I don't think...Gear shows no sign of wear and is well lubed. Cable is well lubed and shows no fraying.

I can't get that gear out though. It's held in place by the bearing seal, which I don't want to disturb for obvious reasons.

My questions, for those who've been in there: What is on the back side of that gear? Could the wear be back there where I can't see it? And a final question...what is wrong with my bike's mirrors these days? They make me look old and ugly! ...Maybe that question should be in another forum.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The gear worm can wear, or simply a slight kink in the cable even if it isn't frayed.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it's time for a new/rebuild on the speedometer. The cable drives a magnet assembly that spins inside a drum that connects to the needle. As the unit wears, the dust from the bearings gets inside the drum and causes the needle to jump around. I have had this problem with tachometers and speedometers. I have been somewhat sucessful in taking them apart and giving the internals a cleaning.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

try spinning the cable using a drill, if the needle is steady and smooth then is the mechanism in the wheel.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

William_86 wrote:
try spinning the cable using a drill, if the needle is steady and smooth then is the mechanism in the wheel.
Good idea William. Thanks

Fitz, I don't know what you mean by the "gear worm"...is that inside the little housing at the wheel?

IP, I recently put this speedo in and cleaned it well first. The bearings may well be starting to go though. That's what happened to the last one.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

By worm I meant the drive gear that turns the cable, that is often the weak point.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Remove the speedo and squirt some machine oil around the housing that the cable goes into. It's dried out in there, been there, done that, finally had to replace the speedo.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Remove the speedo and squirt some machine oil around the housing that the cable goes into. It's dried out in there, been there, done that, finally had to replace the speedo.
That's what I'm afraid is going on. This speedo is #3. I cleaned it all and lubed those bearings as best I could. Has anybody ever been successful at replacing the bearings?

Speedo #2 went out in a screaming fit, banging between 0 and 150 mph until the needle broke off.

The first (original) speedo was still working but the odometer quit. I may have to see if I can find it and do some creative re-building.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

247000 / 3 = 82333 per speedometer....not bad.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
Actually, the first one lasted 210k miles. Second one only 26k. That means this one has about 22k on it. All the used stuff seems to be junk and new isn't available. :(

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

hey Dennis. as i am doing a custom refit of my bike i have found a digital instrument setup for @ $150 it uses a tach pickup off of the coil and a magnetic speed sensor on the front wheel. if interested I can get you the info.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
nsjoe wrote:
Actually, the first one lasted 210k miles. Second one only 26k. That means this one has about 22k on it. All the used stuff seems to be junk and new isn't available. :(
210K is certainly respectable. Hopefully you can find a good low mileage one somewhere, or maybe there is just some crud in there.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I'm not convinced it's the speedo this time. Acted more like a cable problem. I just don't want to start throwing money at it. When I do that I never seem to guess right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.