Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My speedometer is off on my 86 aspencade. I figured out that I was going allot slower than most of the vehicle on the road with me so I speed up to match them. So I tested it by following my wife and had her go 55 in the car. I had to go 63 to match that speed. Is this pretty common and if so what do you do about it if anything.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

10% off isn't unusual, but yours is obviously a bigger problem. There are a couple of possibilities, but the main suspect would have to be the wheel sender..

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

This is usually a sign that the electronic pickup on the wheel is on the way out.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

measured mine with a GPS and it is out 10km at 100 Reads 110 when I am going 100

at 60 km indicated I am goin 53 km on GPS

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
measured mine with a GPS and it is out 10km at 100 Reads 110 when I am going 100

at 60 km indicated I am goin 53 km on GPS

Thats sounds about right. 10% seems the norm. Anything grossly over that and I'd also say the electronic sender is out.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Speed Sensor lnspection

Disconnect the speed sensor from the speedometer
gearbox at the front wheel.
Connect a voltmeter across the Black/Brown and
Black/Yellow terminals of the sensor white 3-P coupler.
Turn the ignition switch to ON.
The sensor is normal if the voltmeter needle swings from
0 to about 5 slowly eight times when the sensor drive
shaft is turned slowly one full turn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

My speedo is registering fast by about 5mph.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
My speedo is registering fast by about 5mph.
Is it fast by 5mph at all speeds, or just at a certain point? If it's all speeds then the sender unit has to be bad. I wonder if these can be adjusted at all?

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I do not know about all speeds just checked it with a car speedometer at 60, mine was showing 65mph. I really have no way of knowing if the car was accurate itself.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
I do not know about all speeds just checked it with a car speedometer at 60, mine was showing 65mph. I really have no way of knowing if the car was accurate itself.
If you've got a stopwatch measure the time between mile markers on the highway at different indicated speeds. You can get a cheap stopwatch with a mph scale. My watch has one, I use it to check the speedos on buses I drive to verify the speedo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.