Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Decided to install a Garmin Nuvi 205 on the bike. Fits nicely.

Anyway we went on a nice road trip today (about 350 miles roundtrip) and used the GPS.

Speed on the GPS is ~5MPH slower than the speedo (digital guages) on the bike. Makes me wonder which one is right....

Do I believe the "80's" technology or the "09"..

Anyone seen similar results with their GPS Vs bike speedo?

Regards, Bart

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I think every jap bike is off by 7-10%. IMHO its intentional. People think they are riding at 80, but actual speed is somewhat slower.

My Wee is actually running 64 when the needle is on 70. Theres a guy that makes a replacement face for the guages so it reads correctly. I just plan on adjusting mentally, though.

·
Administrator
27,785 Posts
imported post

Goldwing and really all Honda speedometers are notoriously faster than actual speed.

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

This has always made me wonder... is the odometer off as well? Does my bike not have as many miles on it as indicated? Seems like it would need to be more accurate for mileage based warranties.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Good Point!

If the speedos are reading fast, then you would think that the odo's are off as well.

The odos show more miles than actually driven?

Wonder how that would play with any warranties on the newer bikes.....

Just a thought...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Dutchman wrote:
Do I believe the "80's" technology or the "09"..

Anyone seen similar results with their GPS Vs bike speedo?
Your GPS is right. Check your speedometer anytime you go through one of those areas with radar showing your speed. You'll see your speedometer is off and GPS is reading the same as the radar. My 86 Aspy read 6-7 mph fast at 60 mph indicated speed on the speedometer and the amount varied, around 3 mph high at 35 indicated. My 1500 speedometer is pretty accurate, only fast by about 2 mph and it doesn't vary.

Yes to your question, if your speedometer is reading high your odometer will gain miles faster than normal. It's not unusual though. If you check your car's speedometer you will likely find it's a little fast too, although my 1200 was the farthest off of any vehicle I've owned so far.

John

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,517 Posts
imported post

Our Pontiac Vibe speedo reads 68 mph at 65 mph by gps.

Again, I also believe that to be intentional on the part of the manufacturer. It has a Toyota engine, tranny and so forth. that the reason?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

garyft wrote:
This has always made me wonder... is the odometer off as well?
the consensus on the Wee's is that the odo is off by about 2%, 7-10% for the speedo.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I remember riding with Jluvs2dive when he had his 1200 and nudging him on the CB to speed up a bit. His 1200 like most 1200s was around 5-7mph slower than the speedo shows. The 1100s I've had were pretty close to the GPS or timed mile post runs and my 1500 is quite close to accurate. Seems like for some reason the 1200s and 1800s have inaccurate speedos. I don't remember how far off my '86SEI was but suppose it was off like most 1200s since the speedo was the same as the Aspy.

·
Administrator
27,785 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Seems like for some reason the 1200s and 1800s have inaccurate speedos.
!800 speedos are accurate, Honda just puts the wrong size rear tire on them. :D

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

The speedo on my 1800 is right on. It's my speed that's wrong. I drive about 6% too slow for my speedometer. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

on the brand new 2010 peterbilts that come from the factory are anywhere from 3 to 5 mph off which means miles alot of them over the life peterbilt says that is normal but on the older petes with the dip switches i can get them 100percent dead on one mile for 60 seconds at 60mph thats all that really matters one mile 60 seconds at 60mph exactly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.