Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to need to put a different speedo on my 80-1100. Since it has low miles, I dont want to put one on that shows high miles. Can they be disassembled, re-numbered, and re assembled?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

My experience with my 82 is that the spedo has a sealed chrome ring holding it together and to crack it open the ring has to be cut. If you do access the internals I'm not sure if it can be set back.

Kyle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

An automobile instrument shop should be able to roll back and odometer if you bring them proof that it's not for fraudulent reasons. If you take both speedos to a shop and explain what you want done it is easily done. Since you have one that's done for, why don't you see if you can open it without damaging it further? You have it available for practice. If you can get it open you will find that turning the odometer back isn't difficult. If you can't get it open or don't want to here's a possible place to send it. Give them a call.

http://www.paspeedo.com/

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Marco called me today to see how I was doing (nice guy...) and that was the conclusion that we came to. I will probably practice on this one.

I think that chrome ring is the key. I wonder if it could be gently heated to the expansion point. Might be difficult with the plastic. Its worth a whirl though.

I will check out that link, Paul. Thanks!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think you can get enough heat on it to do any good before you'd damage the plastic or the innards of the speedo. Before cutting the bezel ring,try to carefully bend up the part crimped behind the face. If you work carefully you should be able to pry the folded over edge up enough to get the clamp ring off. At least I've been able to do that to two other gauges successfully. If you can slip it off you should be home free. Assuming you can, use a padded plier to fold the metal back down. Prying open and closing you want to just do a little at a time and make several passes around the perimeter just bending a little bit each time. If you do get it apart that way when crimping back down be careful to pressure only the bent up part, don't put too much pressure on the front side or you might crack the glass.

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
140 Posts
imported post

I was able to get a seized speedometer apart and back together, although I couldn't help the seizing problem with the gears. If you gently pry the ring and take about 3 passes, it comes apart fairly easily, just take your time. Try this site.... good article: http://vjmc.org/techtips/speedo_repair.htm. I was able to tweek the odometer setting as well. I ended up getting a used speedometer off EBay and am thinking of taking that one off the bike and adjusting the milage to the correct number. Cleaning the inside glass really made a difference too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.