Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay first off let me say i am new here.. been looking around the board a few days, thanks to outlawearl that signed up on here..... have learmed alot on here already.. you guys are great... now for my question..

I recently purchased a 1981 goldwing 1100... about a week and a half after i bought it i took off on a long road trip on it.. *had to test it out yea know*. Left nebraska bound for mississippi. made it with out a problem. other then cold weather and rain.. While i was down there i noticed i heard a sound coming from the speed cable.. The 2nd day down there we headed out for a ride and well lost the speedometer.. didnt read out.. come on and get home the starter goes out.. get a starter and cable off ebay. Thinkin from reading the manual that the starter is gonna be the hard thing to change and the cable the easy one right?? WRONG... lol.. took me and earl less then 2 hours to change out the starter.. wasnt nothing.. decided then to do the easy thing and change the speedo cable.. The screw down by the wheel that holds the cable in place, we have tried and tried to get it to come lose so we can change out the cable but to no avail..Is there a trick to getting the screw to come lose.. does one have to heat it a bit or what?? any help would be greatly acccepted and might if i get it fixed here soon might save me a speeding ticket.. lol

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Okay, First of all welcome to the forum stormintba. I had this problem a couple of times. Last time I used an impact driver and gave it gentle taps of a hammer instead of major ones.
First time I did this, the head of the screw was so worn that I couldn´t get an impact to fit. I drilled the head off the screw and pulled off the cable, then there was enough (about 3 or 4 mm) of the screw body left to get a vicegrips on and the screw came out realy easy. I could probably have used my fingers to get it out!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey stormintba :waving: Welcome to the forum :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
1802 posts Redwing! Surely there will be a prize for the 2000 target?
Hey GWNorman :waving:Im still waiting for the prize for the first 1000 posts. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.