Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

last year my wife, my buddy and i went for a ride to st. louis to visit the arch. i rode my 03 wing, my wife rode her 99 suzuki, and my buddy rode his 83 harley. while we were riding on the highway, i noticed we were going 80 to 85 mph. when we stopped for gas i made the comment to my buddy that we were notout here to get a ticket, and that going at this rate of speed, i for one was not comfortable. he said we were only going 70 mph. i could not believe that his 83 harley's speedo was correct, when mine and my wifes both said 80/85. so long story short, after we got home, he and i went out on my road, 45mph speed limit, me on my wing, him in his car. i raised my arm and put on my speed control at 45. he did the same in his car. after we got back he said we were only going 40mph. then i read in rider magazine, in one of the comments sections, that a guy said that most all metrics are on a 10% speed increase. if this is the truth then at 80 mph we would only be going 72, which would make my buddys old harley speedo just about right on target, give or take a wind gust now and then. i cant believe this! has anyone of my wingnutts out there heard of this?.............rick

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

The speedometers on the Wings are notorious for being off (on the slow side). How much varies greatly, use a gps if you want an accurate take on the matter.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

This is interesting and I don't have the answer. But I ride a 1500 and I have a GPS that tells me my speed, and both GPS and bike speedo read the same for me.

And when I got a ticket in Colorado, I have to admit I was doing what the officer said I was. (76 in a 65)

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

My GPS and GL1500 are in sync all through to 75. Anything over 75 I need both eyes on the road. :action:

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hanko wrote:
My 1800 speedometer has been reading high with every set of tires I have tried. Speedometer reads 65 - GPS reads 60.
see? thats what im talking about.....bout 5 or 6 mph at 60 mph thats 10% rick

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
This is interesting and I don't have the answer. But I ride a 1500 and I have a GPS that tells me my speed, and both GPS and bike speedo read the same for me.

And when I got a ticket in Colorado, I have to admit I was doing what the officer said I was. (76 in a 65)
maybe its the 1800s...rick

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

winginitrick wrote:
Winger77 wrote:

maybe its the 1800s...rick
My 1500 is slow by about 5mph at highway speeds, so was my 1200.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

What is popular with GL1800 owners who want to correct the speedo.... are two items. One is called a Speed Healer, to electronically correct the speedo. The other is to go with a slightly larger 70 series rear tire.
There is plenty of talk about both options on this and other Wing sights.

Winger77.... ticket for 77 in a 65 zone? Not a warning??? Perhaps they were using the 8mph over rule!!! Sounds like a cheap shot.... kinda like I remember back in N.Y. 30 years ago. They would just pull over 10 to 20 cars and give them all tickets.... regardless of individual speed!

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

All of the 1000's are off about the same 10% or so. 61 indicated is actually about 55.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

If I were to guess I would say.........it is some kind of government regulation. I would just bet on it.

It is not just the Honda bikes that are off 4 to 6 mph it is all metric bikes. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, all of them are off just about the same. Not sure about BMW as the one I rode did not have a GPS to check with.

But all metric bikes are off about the same.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
Winger77.... ticket for 77 in a 65 zone? Not a warning??? Perhaps they were using the 8mph over rule!!! Sounds like a cheap shot.... kinda like I remember back in N.Y. 30 years ago. They would just pull over 10 to 20 cars and give them all tickets.... regardless of individual speed!
:shock: You expect a warning for 12 mph over the limit? You wouldn't like the cops in Texas!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Speedo .... speedo .... Who needs a speedo ???? We don,t need no stinking speedos!!!!! He wants to see our speedos !!!! ha!!! ha !!!! HA!!!!!!HA!!!HA!!!BLAM,,,,,,BLAM,,,,,,,BLAM,,,,,!!!!!!!! (treasure of sierra madre)

Mine don,t work!

Till I put this other one on anyway!!!

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
If I were to guess I would say.........it is some kind of government regulation. I would just bet on it.

It is not just the Honda bikes that are off 4 to 6 mph it is all metric bikes. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, all of them are off just about the same. Not sure about BMW as the one I rode did not have a GPS to check with.

Kit
yea kit, my wifes suzuki was reading the same as my wing was, 80/85. i just cant believe the government would have their hand in speed regulations on someones speedo. and why have it 10% fast?...keep us slower huh?......rick

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

winginitrick wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
yea kit, my wifes suzuki was reading the same as my wing was, 80/85. i just cant believe the government would have their hand in speed regulations on someones speedo. and why have it 10% fast?...keep us slower huh?......rick
This will give you a hint. There are about 29 pages of stuff from DOT and the UK regs. So the manufactures prefer to err on the side of safety.
Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

Arizona just passed a law. Tickets at +10 mph, no fudging. You pay at +10.

The intent is to get people back to +5 or no more, which sort of seems to be working. Except for those who never cared anyway and still run +30 or more.

This new situation is causing wrecks because us guys who stay within the +5 range, are a danger to the guys who run +30.

+20 gets you 10 points and you loose your license, but it has not slowed down the worst of them yet.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My trike is one mph off the GPS on the heavy side. Given it uses a read end, bet someone had some figuring to do to make it even that close. :clapper:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.