Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Speedomeder doesnt work after front tire change

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  crimsonwing 
#1 ·
I got my tire changed at the shop and now i cant tell how fast im going. how do i fix this?

#3 ·
If your speedometer was working BEFORE the shop changed the tire, Rambozoclown has the correct answer. Once they fix it, STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! Shoddy work should NOT be tolerated, IMHO.

If you decide to fix the issue yourself, , the most likely error is they didn't connect/seat the speedometer cable properly. Remove the left "rotor" cover and check to see that the cable is seated correctly and the knurled nut is tight.

#4 ·
What year and model bike?

I had a similar issue with my GL1200 years ago. I found that the thin tab in the drive gear that slides into the cable was broken off. Different from you is that my odometer showed 58 miles more than the mileage recorded on the service order, proving it was not broken when I took it in for service. IMHO the part had been weakened by poor workmanship. I had a discussion with the service manager. My position was that neither one of us actually watched the mechanic do the work so I thought it would be fair if I paid for the part and they did the install at no charge. He told me no in an insulting manner. I will no longer patronize Reynolds Motorsports.

Reactions: CrystalPistol
#5 · (Edited)
its and 84 1200 interstate. ill tackle the problem myself as some time had passed since they worked on it already. can you by any chance show me a picture of what part you are talking about exactly? Also, same for you andy? im not sure what part you are talking about exactly. I know there is a cable that screws into the font left fork, is that the one?

#8 ·
The "inner" cable is what "mates" with the gear that is turned when the wheel turns, ,and the "outer" cable is what you actually see/feel. At the end near the front forks, there is a knurled nut that has to be secured to the housing that holds the gear. The inner cable may need to slip a bit inside and/or turn a bit so that the end mates with the gear housing properly.

#9 ·
I also no longer own a GL1200. If memory serves me the knurled nut is at the top and connects the outer jacket to the speedometer. At the front wheel the jacket slips into the speed sensor and is retained by a Phillips/JIS screw. If you look in the cable jacket there is a slot like a regular screw slot and in the hole on the drive gear there is a long, thin tab that slides in to that slot. When installing you should turn the wheel slowly to align the tab to the slot and the cable jacket will slide right in. No need to overtighten the retaining screw. The speedometer end is kind of a bear to get to. Sorry.

Pic 2 in this link shows the connection: How to remove and reinstall your front wheel • GL1100 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com

Pics 8, 9 & 11 show how the gear is fitted correctly to the wheel/fork.

The cable can be removed from the jacket to make sure it's intact and should be lubricated. I use high speed wheel bearing grease. Be careful running your fingers along the metal cable as there can be broken wires that make a nasty cut.

With the front wheel off the ground you can look in the cable hole and see if the tab turns or with the low end connected you can look at the disconnected upper end to see that the cable turns. All hooked up right, if you spin the wheel really hard, the needle will come up off the pin. It is also possible to use a drill with a straight screwdriver bit to spin the cable from the bottom end. You need care, four hands and four eyes to make this work.

#12 ·
dang it! I cant remove the wheel by myself. I can try taking it back to the shop but im not sure if it has been too long to request that they fix it. Im gonna just try and clean all the parts down there and see if that works first. cross my fingers. do you by any chance have any pictures of the specific area you are talking about?

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.