Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was ridding along and the speedometer on my 1995 GL 1500 SE started twitching and then started to decline in a twitching mode until it read zero. I could still feel the wind in my face so I know I was moving. I suspect the cable has served it's time after 125k miles. What I discovered is the cruse control, self canceling turn signals & AVC for the radio do not work now. Are thesethings tied into the speedometer?

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Yes they are and a lot of times it is the plastic gearing inside the front wheel that is shot. Mine went and as per Rudy's suggestion replaced the cable at the same time against what my mechanic friend told me. But once we had it out he noticed how the cable was binding a little and that could have put the pressure on the gears to wear them out.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,957 Posts
imported post

Hi Brad,

In answer to your question, yes, certain systems arelinked to the speedo.

What you've describeddoesn't sound like a cable though. A cable usually just breaks. Your problem sounds like the speedo itself. The bearings, where the cable goes into the housing, dry up and fail.

Then a transformation occurs. The speedometer turns into a brand new paper weight.

If I'm right, I also suggest you buy a new unit if possible. I'm going through a lot of used speedos because they all do the same thing with age, regardless of mileage. Also, make sure you get the CORRECT speedometer. As you now know, other things are linkedand may be different depending on model or year.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Check the simple things first. I had 235,000 on my 1990 GL1500 and the speedo head worked perfectly. I did have a cable break right at the lower bend just before entering the housing. Seems like water/moisture collects there and the cable rusts. Have seen it on several GL's.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

It's a good ideal to remove the speedo gear box at the wheel and clean the old grease out and put new in. It gets petty bad in there if it has not been done. It's an easy thing to do. My grease was so hard I was surprised my cable didn't brakebefore I cleaned it out.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I found that the front speedo gear on the front axle is NFG. When I turn the front wheel the small "blade" that goes into the drive cable is not turning. I looked up the assembly in the parts book. I have not removed it yet. I wanted to order the parts first before I pull it apart. Do I need to replace the entire assembly or can I just buy the gear or gears? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

You guys were right. It was the $22,00 speedo gear. It looks like the plastic (teflon) just ate it'self out. Took an hour to change & it was a good chance to check the brakes and whel brgs. I'll post a pic of the old & new gear with P/N. Thank you again everyone. I love this site. The money I save is going to be donated to this worthy cause.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

While you are in there, it's a good time to pull your cable out of the sheathing and give it a light coating of grease and reinstall it. Water tends to collect inside near the lower bend and then starts rusting/binding, eventually wearing away at the inner sheathing , before snapping. No use installing just a new cable as the damage done to the inner sheathing will just get worse , so a new cable assembly is the way to go. A bit of grease goes a long way to help prevent that from happening. ;)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Yes, just pull it out

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

What a difference, hey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts