1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

A little confused here.

Here's an 80-82 speedo drive...

And what I have on my 83i, only it's from an 84 GL1200.

My ring gear broke a while back and want to confirm if I order one for a 1200, it will fit in my unit.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

they will take the same cable but i wouldnt know on the teeth count and speedometer calibration as one takes a 18 inch wheel and the 84 a 16 wheel. JB

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I believe the '83 has the same speedo sensor as the 1200s. If your speedometer cable lower end has a tab for a screw to hold it to the sensor rather than a groove around it the 1200 type should work. There should be someone who currently has an '83 rather than working from memory as I am come along soon to verify.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Yup, mine has that plastic tab with phillips screw to hold the cable on. Sucker broke too, but it holds it on reasonably well.

I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some goofy inner diameter change between 83 and 84. BikeBandit has the gear for $17.

Now I'm wondering if the later metal cut gears would work...hmm.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I would stick with stock nylon cut gears. They will never be as noisy, they do not retain heat. Mine is a 92 and still uses the nylon cut gears. Like anything they should be serviced. This gear at least everytime you change your tire.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

id go for it from bike bandit myself. I dont see any differance on the exterior or where it goes into the wheel between a 83 and 84., <the ones i have here>like I mentioned there might be a tooth count differance but maybe not. cant you swap the 82 drive gear into the 83 or is there a differance.JB

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Well shoot. BikeBandit shows the part, but doesn't have a place to order it. I'm guessing you just have to buy the whole box, which I can't do.

Back to square one.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the cable is okay other than the broken tab you could twist a piece of thin steel wire around the cable and the mounting screw to hold it in temorarily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.