Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi!

I have an 1800 and have been told that the speedo is reading fast by about 4mph at 70. I have noticed that to keep up with most traffic on the expressway, I'm doing 75-80 indicated. While in my truck it seems that most traffic is going about 70. Now my truck might be running slow and my bike fast. It's hard to tell.

What is your sense of speedo error?

at 60?

at 70?

Have any of you got one of those speedo correcting devices? Are they worth it?

Oh, and please indicate if you have a 1500 or 1800!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Daveo

:)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hi Daveo,

My 2000SE 1500 speedometer reads about 2 MPH fast all the way up, from about 25-100+, acording to my GPS and two other's GPS's, exavid & NaturallyGW. Exavid says his 93 Aspencade is right on with his GPS, and NaturallyGW said his 2000SE was also very close, but I don't remember exactly how close.

Haven't had the opportunity to use one of the black boxes, but considered it with my 1200. My 86 1200's speedometer is fast by about 3 MPH at 30, and by about 7MPH at 70. I decided not to worry about it since I had my GPS with me most of the time, and also I just got used to mentally making the correction when I didn't.

John

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
imported post

Have a friend that has a new 2008 1800 and he says that his speedo is off by about 5 mph all the way up. Told me that mine would be too. I ride a 99' 1500SE. Got a chance to ride with him this summer and we rode side by side for quite a distance. Asked him on the cb to tell me when his gps said he was running 70 and asked what his speedo said. His speedo was reading 75, but mine was setting at 70 to 71, so I believe that mine is pretty accurate.

Cobra

:15grey:

'

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

I believe Honda intentionally makes their speedos approx 10% off. Something about liability issues, intentionally reading faster than actual, to subconsiously keep acctual speed lower than shown.
My 02 Honda Shadow Sabre is 10% off. My Wing is about 7% off. Can't be a coincidence.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

It seems like I have the exception to the rule. My GL1500 speedometer is right on with my GPS. My wife's Shadow reads about 5 kph higher than her actual speed.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

98 1500SE and the speedometer is pretty much dead on with my Garmin.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
My '97 Aspy LE is dead on according to my GPS.
How would you know, you don't really ever use your GPS do you? ;):cooldevil::cooldevil:

John

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
SB in SC wrote:
My '97 Aspy LE is dead on according to my GPS.
How would you know, you don't really ever use your GPS do you? ;):cooldevil::cooldevil:

John
I'm not sure SB has even found the "ON" button yet...........:gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

From the 'Wings I've been around, the 1100 speedometers were reasonably accurate, the 1200s tend to read around 5mph high at 60-65, 1500s on the other hand seem to be pretty accurate, within a mph or two at highway speeds. 1800s I've ridden with (not on) seem to read high maybe not quite as high as 1200s but three or four mph at 60-65. The 1800s have the option of using a Yellow Box to correct the error since they have electronic speedos.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

While I haven't checked my 1500 with my GPS as of yet, I did check my 97 F 150 right after I got the unit and it showed the speedometer in my truck to be dead on.
The speedometer on my V Star reads 5 mph fast and I assume it's almost the same with my 1500.
In fact, I may check it today!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

my 1100 seems to run about 10mph faster than actual, speed limit on the freeway is 65 i have been running 80 and have been clocked many times by dot and state police and never stopped. one day ill have to stop and get them to tell me how fast im going so ill know for sure lol... i have attempted to estimate it myself by counting between mile markers based on 60 sec for one mile at 60mph, i have counted between 45 and 50 sec between mile markers so not sure what that equates too, but does seem like im passing everyone on the freeway lol.....

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

I am with most of you here, the gps reads 66 and speedo reads 70, just a few miles an hour more in most cases, again think its write in orde rto keep on the safe side of the law.

I have often wondered though, if the speedo is reading say 5-10 percent higher, does this mean the milage of the bikes is also out, if this is the case then you are taking you bike in for servicing earlier than required.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I won a set of Dunlop E3's. When I had them installed I noticed it was very easy to put on the center stand and couldn't figure that out. (I actually thought the frame might be failing! Always think the worse!) Next I noticed the speedo which had been over 7% high was only about 1% off according to GPS and highway markers. I finally figured it out. I had been given a 180/70-16 instead of the stock 180/60-16. I'm on my second set now and at 41PSI front and rear I'm getting about 20,000 mi on rear with no other bad side effects. ABS breaking and handling are great. Easy fix for that speedo error!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

don't the speedo read off the front wheel not the rear so that couldn't be the difference unless you changed both tires. you will drop a few rpm changing the worn out rear tire for a new one but unless the front was changed the speedo should read the same

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

detdrbuzzard wrote:
don't the speedo read off the front wheel not the rear so that couldn't be the difference unless you changed both tires. you will drop a few rpm changing the worn out rear tire for a new one but unless the front was changed the speedo should read the same
Yes, at least on all the Wings up through the 1500's. Not sure about the 1800's but they probably read off the front too. He did say he won a set of E3's, so I assume he changed out the front tire too. I wonder if there was a size difference there as well?

John

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

No, the front tire is the original size. The rear tire size changed the speedo AND I forgot to mention that the odomotor is now accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

My 99 is pretty much spot on with the GPS. My 06 has a correction box - it's on the mark at 75 mph but off about 4 mph at 55 mph (55 on the GPS - 59 on the dial.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

rhjiii46 wrote:
No, the front tire is the original size. The rear tire size changed the speedo AND I forgot to mention that the odomotor is now accurate.
Interesting. According to the 1800 service manual, there is a speed sensor on both wheels, and on the side of the engine. :baffled: OK, 1800 gurus, how does the speedometer work on an 1800?

John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.