Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I boo-booed and cleaned the speedo faceplate with isopropyl alcohol.

The graphics wrinkled and got muddy.

So I need a new faceplate or a not working speedo or a working speedo (ouch)

Thanks, Bumbling Bob Rust Albuquerque, NM

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Bob, I don't think the faceis replaceable. I tried this once and pulling the speedo needle off was easy enough but when I refitted it the needle hopped all over the place. I think the mechanism is very finely balanced and pulling the needle off is not a good idea. I spoke to a Lucas repair chap in Dublin and they remake speedo cable, repair speedos etc and he confirmed that quite often even the experts ruin the balance springs on speedos when dismantling.
I'd be inclined to get a used one off Ebay and get the mileage adjusted to suit. You can easily turn the mileage wheels on these clocks, just make sure you wear surgical rubber gloves so you don't get sweat marks on the faceplate. If you get weaty fingerprints on then you won't be able to remove them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Bob,

FitzAl is right about eBay, you see instruments there often. You can search the internet for speedometer repair, there are lots of places that will do that. I don't know what they cost so eBay might be the cheapest.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

In some locales you may have to obtain a sticker that states that the odometer has been replaced or altered because they keep track of mileage here in my province, otherwise you could be fined for rolling back an odometer.

I think the only way you could get into trouble is if you sold the bike with less miles on it than when you last registered it.

Just something to keep in mind.

Vic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.