Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my 83 Interstate out for a short shakedown spin around the block and noticed my speedo still wasn't working after I verified the cable wasoperating properly.

The 'key' coming out of the gearbox wasn't turning with the wheel, so I took the wheel off and discovered the gears are...plastic.:rollingeyes: So naturally the knobs interlocking with the hub had snapped off and jammed themselves in the workings. Not sure how they broke off after only 43k miles, but there it was.

As I'm financially broke, I basically welded the plastic knobs back onto the gear ring. Slapped everything back together, seems to work fine once again, at least until I can afford a new part.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same due to the cable siezing up. I fixed mine as well but it didn't last long.$80 new from honda. Got to be a used one on ebay .

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I found one on ebay a few months ago for about 15.00. The 83I has a different gear box than the 80-82. So, if I can find it and someone needs one give me a shout.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I bought the whole box; couldn't find just the gear.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

on the 1200's the replacment gear was metal (the original was plastic), but you have to buy the whole thing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.