Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My speedometer is 5 MPH fast at all posted road speeds. Can you buy diffrent gears to slow down the cable speed or do you have to have the speedo head calibrated?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

The speedo can't be calibrated, according to Honda. I've never heard of any shop that will work on them.

I carefully moved the needle on one of mine that was off quite a large amount. I've also adjusted the spring on one (on a CB550). That was a lot of work but worked better than moving the needle.

Most just live with the error.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Monkey Wrench;
I as well would like an answer to that Q.
I have two speedometers on board.
One in the dash, and one that sits in back.
When the one in the dash hits 70,----well---.
you know how it goes, and frankly I'm tired of gussing.
Lets see what the Big boys come up with.
Hilton
______________/)_____________/)___________/))))_________

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Are you running a smaller tire? that would throw it out!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

No, the front tire is recomended size according to the sticker in the trunk lid.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

All of the Goldwings I've owned tried very hard to tell me I was approaching light speed when in reality I was barely going fast enough to get a speeding ticket. Took me a while to figure out why my average speed was so slow on a day long journey.

The best solution is to mount a GPS where the rear speedo may see it. Tell her the new technology is the one to watch.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

I agree about the GPS, I replaced the speedo cable and the gear thats on the front wheel ( not because they were off, but because they just didnt work at all) well now I guess im going about 10 mph slower than what the speedo tells me, gets worse as you go faster. So I recommend anyone who is going to fix one to just get a GPS and mount it permenatly to the bike! If any part of my speedo messes up in the furture I will remove the speedo part of the instrument cluster and mount a GPS there (I dont care about keeping this stock looking). I will remove the speedo cable from the bike completely and cap off the gear on the front wheel to keep crap from getting in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.